How much help did you need after birth?

My mom can hopefully fly back to stay with me when the baby is out, but is it very useful to have a confinement lady as well? Can they come during the day but go home at night? Are there other services you would recommend I do research on? Thanks!

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

My husband and I were on our own, but we ordered confinement food for 4 weeks, so that we didn’t have to cook lunch and dinner while we got used to everything. I think it depends on how hands on you and your mum will be, and what kind of help you would like to have. For me, I feel more stressed having someone tell me what I can or cannot do, and I was also very happy to do everything myself with regards to baby care. My husband was very supportive and would help with chores (plus cooking, after the first month) and baby care too, so we really didn’t need a confinement nanny. There are daytime nannies/helpers (for housework) that you can look into to see how your needs can be met:)

Read more
4y ago

I ordered from Nouriche (Richfood Pte Ltd). Yes, a hands on father is the best thing the baby and wife can ask for:)

VIP Member

Yes, it is very useful if cost is not an issue. You can have a confinement lady in the day time. She can be an extra pair of hands to help out around like cooking your meals, bathing the baby, feeding the baby in the day. Your mum and you can take a breather and rest a bit since you will be on “night duty”. You can read up on breastfeeding, pumping schedules and go for courses if possible. There are lactation consultants etc who can help you with breastfeeding issues. Postnatal massages can help you recover better too so you can research too.

Read more
4y ago

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for postnatal massages?

I didn't have a confinement lady but I do have my mom to help me out during the confinement, mainly for food wise. My husband will help out to take care of the baby during night time and wash all the clothes and bottles. I was mostly resting myself, and taking care of baby in between. My baby slept quite a lot and only wake up for milk in the day, whereas she prefers to play during the night when she is less than one month old.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm looking for a part time domestic helper to help around. Will have confinement meal delivery and mil/husband to look after baby for first two weeks during day time while myself will take over the night duty. Helper will help around with washing cleaning etc and take over part of their chores after mil/hubby go back to work. Lucky it's festive season during my Edd.

Read more

The help of a CL was helpful to us as I could focus on recovering and resting. Also, my then priority was also to work on my bm supply so the CL's help to cater to LO's needs was very helpful so i can massage myself, pump and rest etc. Food -also didnt need to worry and had meals at fixed time each day. Lastly, hubs and I learnt from CL too.

Read more

If your mum can help and there’s a budget for daytine nanny, why not. For me, I would appreciate any extra help in the recuperation period. Before pregnancy I have always loved massages so prenatal or especially postnatal massage package was crucial for me. Hopefully when you deliver, the ban will be lifted for such services already.

Read more
4y ago

Last time I checked the place that I went for my prenatal already went bust liao 😅 Ask from 2020 mummies fb group, should have alot recommendation for freelance jamu masseurs that come to your home. Malay ladies can bind tummy well or do womb lifting or breast massages to stimulate breastmilk.

Super Mum

I would say a confinement nanny helps a lot for me esp as a first time mum who doesn't know anything. Not only does she helps in taking care of baby, she does cooking and clean the house for me as well :)

VIP Member

Iam staying at my mom's home right now since can't take care of baby and do household chores all alone when baby reaches 6 months will be going back to my home

VIP Member

I do not know of a good CL but I believe its good to have CL to help your body heal, get enough rest so you can recharge...your mum can assist her with baby.

TapFluencer

I prefer privacy, I paid extra few hundred (can't remember, I think $300) for CN accommodation. She stay at PEM dormitory, work 9-6pm