Me and my partner are in love and planning to get married. But we're from different countries and we follow totally different cultures. I'm really worried if that would become a problem later. I'm really in love with her, and wouldn't want to loose her. What should I do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Love has no boundaries so does Marriage in this era of globalization. International Marriage is a new age concept that is increasingly accepted by natives of different countries who want to indulge in marital alliance. Though the idea of getting married to a person who does not belong to your culture, community and country may sound progressive but the reality of life is a bit more typical for such couples. Following section will give you a brief overview about few pros and cons of International Marriage that couples have to deal with: Blending Traditions The couples who are engaged in an International Marriage have a tougher time blending their traditions. These couples are mostly from very different communities and are followers of different religions. Therefore understanding traditions of each other may be a bit difficult for them. In this case both the bride and groom have to work harder to understand each other's cultural expectations. In an International Marriage it is extremely important that the couple understand and respect each other's religious faith and traditions. Language Love has no language and getting married to someone who cannot speak your language is not a big issue but communication is important in any relationship. Especially, in Marriage it is important that the couple understand each other's language. The children of couples who belong to different countries should be taught languages of both mother and father. The couple should also give children the freedom to communicate in whichever language they choose to. Legal Issues Visa or Immigration concern is another issue that couples engaged in an International Marriage have to face. There is a lot of paperwork involved in attaining visa or immigration documents but the couple can deal with it by getting a proper legal advice and help. Settling A Home Couples who belong to different countries mostly have their homes in different countries. In this case one has to leave his/her country in order to settle down with the other in his/her country. This decision is quite difficult but with love and understanding the couple can easily combat this issue. No matter how difficult it is to get married to someone who does not belong to your country, International Marriages are still quite prevalent nowadays. The reason behind the prevalence of this institution is love and understanding which are essential to make any marriage successful.

Read more

I am in the same situation and I've been where you are -- with all the doubts and worries. But we didn't let those things cloud our life together too much and chose love to guide us instead. Both of us made plenty of sacrifices to be together in the same country after 6 years of LDR and it's been amazing ever since. We are getting married at the end of this year and we do worry about some things but it doesn't dominate our relationship. Just trust your love for one another and enjoy the adventures you'll encounter as an international couple. I love that I have two homes - Sweden and Singapore - and despite the major differences in culture and stuff, at the end of the day, it only makes our relationship stronger. Don't worry too much about it, just let go and let love :)

Read more
VIP Member

Well, the thing is, no one can tell! Every relationship has its ups and downs, and you just have to learn how to adapt. One person will be doing more of the adapting, depending on who moves over to whose country. My husband is also from a different country and different culture. Even though I know and understand roughly how his culture works, we still squabble many times. If you know you are in love with her, give it a shot. You know what they say - it's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

Read more