I'm in love with someone from a different race and religion. Although I am not so religious myself my parents seem to think I will be happier with someone from the same race and religion. They believe a marriage with shared customs and values are the best and come about when people from the same race and religion marry. Will this honestly make me happy? Should I just follow their instructions or follow my heart?

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My dad was violently against my relationship( he was American living in NYC). I eventually went against my heart and followed what my dad wanted because I wanted my dad to be happy. I do love my Husband very very much but I do wonder often what would have happened if I had followed my heart at that point in time. My dad might have been right and I would've ended up with someone from the same race and culture, but having went against my heart, it does make you wonder what would've been if you had followed your heart. It will be really tough, but don't give up! I think your heart will have many unanswered questions.

Read more

A marriage is for life. I understand that it can be a concern for the whole family but ultimately, it is your life with him that is more important. Choose him because you are comfortable and you love everything about him. Accept him for who he is not what he is. It is v hard to find true love in this whole wide world so treasure what u have. Be brave and find happiness.

Read more
VIP Member

I would suggest that you follow your heart, because eventually everything will fall into place. Unless you don't trust your partner and/or have faith in your relationship, you will continue to question whether your parents are correct. But of there is no doubt about your partner in your mind, trust your instincts and be with the person you love.

Read more

If you’re truly in love with someone, and you’re willing to take the leap and make sacrifices, go for it. It’ll be painful to look back and regret. The most important thing is not to convince your parents but yourself if it is something you can handle in the Long run. Once you do, nothing can stop you. All the best and take courage.

Read more
VIP Member

My hubs is of a different race and religion.. take things slow.. if he's the one, then it's fate... follow your heart.. After being together for 5 years & having our lo, my parents have changed the way they thought of him and have accepted him as family..

Personally i feel u shd follow yr heart. Understanding another person's culture and belief are learning some things everyday. Making our parents understand us isn't easy but with the help of both of u involved, it will definitely help.

Read more

We are nearly in 2020 - follow your heart and don't let older generations have an impact on your happiness. Follow your heart and be happy and don't worry about what other people think!

VIP Member

Follow your heart! A lot of couples nowadays are from different race and religion. Trying to talk to your parent and let them know more.. Jia you and good luck!

Read more

Follow your heart, if you’re gonna listen to your parents, you might regret your finding the one that truly makes you happy :’)