Whenever she does not get what she wants, my 3 years old daughter would say that we don't love her. What should I do to discipline her? I do not want to spoil her.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This phrase is all kids favourite. I think they somehow become so smart at such tender age to know when to use it and how. Kids do not mean it of course but don't know how they know that it hurts the most. I think whenever she says this ask her why does she think so, and if she is smart enough to use this phrase at 3, then I think then you can give her references from the previous days when you got her favourite thing she demanded. Or, you can tell her that everything that we desire cannot happen, and then you can again site some examples of her cousins, when they had asked for something from their parents and they were not allowed to have that. You can also narrate incidents from your childhood, and how you also did the same things as her. I do the same with my daughter and in the middle of crying she bursts into laughter. I think, when her mood is fine, communicate with her a lot and tell her examples having you, her father and cousins as the main characters.

Read more

i think at 3 years she is still very young to associate something like this with you not loving her. i am sure she picked it up from TV or from someone else she is closely associated with. try talking to her the next time and ask her why she thinks mamma does not love her. also, tell her that yes, mamma loves her. but there are some things that are not good for her. also, start giving her reasons for why you say no instead of just saying so. for instance, if you say no to ice cream, explain to her in her age appropriate way what eating ice cream can do to her mouth and teeth. babies are smart and she will understand more than what you give credit to her for.

Read more

My 3yo girl always kick up a fuss and go "I don't want you!" when I don't grant her wishes. It's quite frustrating when we think we have their interests at heart. Through some time, I find that listening to her really attentively helps her try to communicate back with you. Also, it's no harm giving in for little requests such as I want sweet, as long as you can compromise only 1 sweet a day. Over time, it works. My daughter seldom fights back now. Instead, she hugs me first thing because I attended to her and listened to her communication.

Read more

Hi Jaymee! Have you tried asking her why she think that way? Do you give her toys or reward in a form of bribery? If so, then you can try to lessen the bribery but you can keep the reward system still there as part of your way to raise her. Your child might probably see that sense of entitlement for doing so. You might want to check this link https://www.empoweringparents.com/article/i-want-it-now-how-to-challenge-a-false-sense-of-entitlement-in-kids/ Let me know how it works! :)

Read more
8y ago

I am enlightened. Thank you

it is normal as she is only 3 years old. Keep explain her that you always love her even you do not give whatever she wants.

Maybe you might be interested in this, https://yademasmama.com/en/mom-help-me-control-my-emotions/