Pregnancy myth that makes no sense

Let's share the worst pregnancy myths we have all heard!

39 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) Eating crabs will make your baby have extra fingers (whutttt). 2) Drinking chocolate milk will cause the child to have a darker skin tone (*facepalm*). 3) Stare at handsome/pretty faces so baby will come out handsome/pretty. Alternatively don't look at ugly things else baby will look like that Eg if you like teletubbies your baby will look like one. And this myth I'm 50/50 as to whether it's positive or negative. I'm neutral about it but it fascinates me cos I know plenty of mommys doing it in many cultures, even here in Europe. Just put it here for fun: 4) Expecting mommys should carry tiny scissors or sharp objects like nails in her bag to protect her and baby from evil spirits.

Read more
VIP Member

Here's some that I have heard: 1. Don't eat crab, baby will come out sideways 2. cannot eat squid, because he will get sucked back inside 3. cannot eat chin chow, baby will become black 4. eat eau huay, so baby will be white 5. cannot hold scissors, baby will be in danger 6. don't do renovation, or home improvement, baby will have pock marks like hammering nails in their skin 7. Don't drink coffee, baby come out skin black 8 Cannot paste posters else baby come out eyes will take longer to open. 9. Cannot do sewing else baby won't cry/make noise. 10. Cannot carry another child when you are pregnant or else your own child would feel jealous

Read more
VIP Member

1. Don't look at solar eclipse if not baby will have marks on the face 2 Don't go to the zoo, your baby will be born looking like one of the animals 3. Don't eat durian otherwise baby will have heaty red marks on his/her face 4. Drink coconut water and baby will come out clean. 5. Eat a lot of nuts when pregnant so that baby will have a lot of hair when born. 6. Don't eat papaya in pregnancy or baby will have jaundice.

Read more

The worst that I ever heard was all dealing with food! 1. MUTTON: If you eat mutton your child will be epileptic because epilepsy and seizures in mandarin is literally "mad goat" 2: CRABS AND SHELLFISH: if you eat crabs or multi legged crustacean your child will be hyperactive as these have multiple limbs and a Chinese idiom describes an a hyper individual as "many hands many legs"

Read more

1. Cannot visit zoo animals as baby will look like animals e.g. monkey 2. Cannot eat yellow noodle, baby will have jaundice 3. Cannot present when moving furniture and this will cause miscarriage 4. Cannot eat dark colored food, else baby will have dark skin color 5. Baby will become cranky when know mummy is having another baby

Read more

Oh I have another funny one! When pregnant, don't habour extreme hatred for anyone because the baby will inherit something from that person. My mom always jokes about how she was always at odds with an ex-boss when she was preggers with me and that's how I got my almond shaped eyes while my brothers have rounder eyes. LOL LOL.

Read more

Today, I heard this super fascinating superstition from an Estonian friend. If a baby is born at the last day of the week, baby will grow up to marry late or not marry at all. Not sure if people still believe this and plan ahead to have their babies born earlier in the week.

1. If mommy's belly is round means the baby is female. 2. If mommy's belly is sharp means baby is male 3. Mommy will look uglier when she carries boy 4. Mommy's skin will look more radiant when she carries girl 5. Mommy's nose will be bigger when she carries boy

Read more

Mom not letting me handle scissors or knives since 6 months. That you shouldn't be too excited and get too many things for the baby, that spirits will get jealous Not to buy yellow clothes for the baby as the baby will get jaundice (oops I didn't know and I did)

Read more

Eating crabs: child will be itchy hand Sewing: child will have birthmarks Cutting on bed: child will have cleft Don't eat yellow/orange food: child will have jaundice Don't scold other people animal names (eg. You look like monkey/pig): child will look like one

Read more
5y ago

I do know people whose children were born with clefts and they blamed it on themselves for sewing/cutting in bed!