I'm told that i can't take plain water during confinement otherwise the swelling of my tummy will not subside; we are only allowed to take red dates and longan drink. Is this true?

46 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You need lots of water to stay hydrated and not get too heaty, thus potentially resulting in constipation. My lactation consultant at Mount A reminded me to drink more plain water and not just longan red date tea and milo...she said there was a mummy who suffered severe constipation for 5 days because she hadn't taken any plain water at the advice of the CL and the elderly. And because of that, she had to take some medication (in turn, can't bf baby)... in any case, every woman's body constitution differs. Some can tahan the heatiness, whilst some can't. Whatever it is, moderation is always ideal as opposed to extremity.

Read more
VIP Member

No1 because red dates is so sweet that make me very thirsty, i took plain water, as i don't have the will to drink a lot of red date water. But i don't see my tummy swell, i think the massage and the binding help to tone up my tummy hence i feel it's very important to have it after giving birth. No2, i found out actually i can dilute the red date tea with hot or warm water, hence not so sweet and make me thirsty unnecessary. And it's more beneficial than drinking normal water though.

Read more

Please do keep yourself hydrated! I didnt consume much water when i was going through confinement as well (mom and MIL said the same thing - there'll be swelling of tummy) and paid a huge price for it. Im breastfeeding and i had a weak immune system because of it. Milk supply dipped, dehydrated and fell sick often. It's so important to drink water in order to flush all the toxins from our body.

Read more

All these are supposed to be myth however, to play safe, I followed as well for all my confinement. I wouldn't 1 2 take the risk for any reasons. However, I know that the food we take are very heaty so I try to take lots of fluids in terms of soup instead of plain water. I take soup every meal and drinks longan red date tea as plain water.

Read more

I personally don't touch water since I love red dates tea. My gynae does not believe in the water retention theory. She thinks it's more important that we stay hydrated and helps in milk production too. My friend who continued to drink water and sometimes from the fridge too went back to her Pre pregnancy svelte figure after her maternity leave.

Read more

I take lots of vegetables cos of the heaty food that we eat. It is a belief that we can't take plain water but sips of it is fine with me. I take lots of soup as a replacement of water as well. Not only that, taking longan red date tea is important for hydration and also it promotes breast milk. It is a must for very confinement.

Read more

I don't think it's true, I did take water during confinement as I found it hard to drink the red date and longan drink everyday so far so good, no water retention at all. My sister in law on the other hand drank red date and longan water for her confinement and after that she was having serious water retention.

Read more

While Longan with red dates drink is beneficial for new mothers, there is absolutely no harm in taking plain water. In fact, new mothers need to constantly stay hydrated to ensure good kidney function and substantial supply of breast milk. However, do consume warm water rather cold water

I heard about this too. But for me I like the red dates tea taste so I continue to take. It is believed that during confinement we need to keep our body warm enough to recover from childbirth. If you want to take plain water, you can take warm plain water instead of cold one.

I did not take any plain water but I don't think it's a big issue to consume. Red date and longan drink were also boiled with water no?! Haha. It's said that drinking water will cause water retention in your body. Don't see that happening to Caucasians.