Low birth weight baby

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant. I just went for a check up and doctor said my baby is 2kg. I will be in induce labour next week but I'm really worried. What can I do to gain more weight?

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same case with me. I was advised to have doppler velocimetry in order to check the condition of my baby at 36 weeks and 3 days. Then NST to monitor the heartbeat. If the result was not ok, i was advised to have a CS so that baby will be saved. The baby has improved on the 1st monitoring so i was advised to come back 3 days after for another NST and 6 days after for (to complete my 37 weeks) doppler and NST. The result of NST was that the heartbeatbof baby is not good and baby's losing weight instead of gaining. So i was bought to an emergency CS. Every check up, we brought with us our things for the hospital and was ready already just incase.

Read more
Super Mum

I had the same problem and gave birth to my baby at 36 weeks, 2kg. I tried to eat so so much in the last 2 weeks like what people recommend, avocado, beef all that stuff and stressed myself out about how to help baby gain weight. In the end I gained 2kg more but baby was still the same weight 😅. So my advise is don't stress yourself out, sometimes it's just the way your body is and you can't do anything to control it. Plus baby will be fine once outside. Mine is now a totally healthy and chubby 1 year old so don't worry about it mummy and have a pleasant delivery! ❤️

Read more

My situation was similar to yours, LO was 2.5kg at 37 weeks. Doctors worried LO not growing enough and asked to induce. To be honest, I am not sure about eating more to help baby "gain" weight. What I understood from the doctors is that the nutrients mommies consume cannot be directly "channeled" to baby, meaning our body has a mind of its own how much of what we eat is passed onto baby, this is not within anyone's control. Hence their advice to me was not to overeat, just exercise and practise breathing exercises to help the labour process.

Read more

Actually my daughter same as your baby when my daughter is still inside my womb but then i just eat what i craving expect i dont eat those food/fruit/drink that i need to avoid end up my baby gain weight i always have either my dessert which is soya bean pudding or my supper which is either dim sum or fast food cause i got no choice cause i am craving for it

Read more

I believe that your body provides the best it can to your bub. I do not think at 37 weeks 2.5kg is low!? My doc scanned me yesterday and im 37wks at 2.6kg and she said likely it's also she is unable to capture the full circumference of the bub's head due to the head positioning.. and at the end of the day you know best!!

Read more
4y ago

Just to add, my first bub was 2.6kg at the same scan n came out 2 weeks later at 3.5kg!

its fine though as long as its 2kgs. my first born was 2.4kgs, the second 2.4kgs and now I'm on 36weeks of pregnancy the baby is weighing 1.73kgs, advised by the midwife to eat more to gain weight atleast 2kls.

Hmm if baby is not growing, don't worry. They will grow better outside the womb. My mum had the same experience with me. I was born 2kg at week 35 (induced labour).

4y ago

Relieved to know that😁 Thank youuuu

just take more leafy greens and red meat in balanced diet. so long as baby is healthy, weight is just a number. that's what my gynae told me 😊

Super Mum

Hi dear. Is there a reason you’re inducing next week? For now, eat more. Some people have recommended durian, avocado, more carbohydrates, desserts.

4y ago

Thank you so much love💖

VIP Member

I have the same problem last time. Neighbour said tcm recommend white rice so I took lot white rice and it helps. You can try if don't have gdm