When did u start to take supplement

I just visited my gynae ard 14 weeks. However, he didnt prescribe me any supplement or ask me to start supplement. He still gave me the folic acid, prenavit, and duphaston. He said my oscar test and blood test is all ok, but i seem to have iron deficiency or thalassemia, so he took blood test on me and my hubby. I am always worried that i dint take enough nutrition for my pregnancy, because i always eat outside. And i still stick to my eating habit as before pregnancy. But less fast food, i tend to eat more carbs than vege. So i take more fruits. Is it good enough? I heard that pregnant woman will take calcium, iron, fish oil supplement etc.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Fish oil and calcium supplements will be prescribed by the doctor from 2nd trimester onwards. In the meanwhile continue to take the folic acid and other supplements given by your doctor. If u are worrying about not having enough nutrients, u can take maternal milk on top of your regular meals. Drink plenty of water and increase fibre intake at the same time to maintain healthy level of amniotic fluid for ur growing foetus as well.

Read more

I stop taking folic acid after 12 weeks. Currently taking calcium, obimin (given by gynae) and blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding advanced (bought my own). Try to eat more fish, fruits & vegetables. Cut down on carbo & sugary food( to pass your Glucose Test). I do take chocolates, famous amos cookies once in a while. Do drink lots of water too :)

Read more

As long as you have a balanced diet, should be fine. For me, i just kept to the usual things that i eat (besides some loss of appetite and aversions here and there). In the second trimester onwards, doc prescribed me with fish oil and third trimester was iron pills (as i had thalessemia too). For calcium intake, i just drank milk.

Read more
VIP Member

Folic acid should be taken before conception. Then a multivitamin like obimin may be prescribed for iron and other vitamins/minerals. Calcium and fish oil usually prescribed for high risk pregnancies but many moms believe fish oil can increase iq

Super Mum

Popping supplement pills is not the best way to get nutrients. Although eat out often, as long as your food intake is balanced and you are mindful of what you eat, there’s no necessity for pills. Hence the word “supplement”

I also eat out a lot while I was pre-pregnant and while I was pregnant, and was worried about not getting enough nutrients, so I took obimin multi vitamin throughout my pregnancy

VIP Member

I went to guardian to buy the blackmores brand. But the usual one my gynae give I will still eat.

VIP Member

Right after I know I’m pregnant. I bought Blackmore when I have not visit the doctor

Dun worry too much. Believe in ur gyane and eat everything in moderation.

Isn’t prenavit already a supplement? How come you still on duphaston?