How do you talk to your baby? Will you go by the old style " naughty boy hor.." or " good boy ". No matter what LO do, u will prise or will just continue like the old folks style. And say something like " you can do this meh? I think you can't. "

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I love the comments given in this topic! ❤️ And yes, it's time we use proper English with our children if we want them to pick it up well. I don't use words like "naughty, bad, stupid" etc on bad behaviour, but I also prefer not to use words like "good, clever, smart" etc for good! When my son behaves "badly", I always believe there's a reason he is doing so - something that made him uncomfortable so he's just trying to tell me what it is! I'd talk to him like talking to an adult, and try to analyse what made him unhappy, acknowledge his feelings, explain the situation and give him alternatives - sounds silly to do this to a toddler, but it does work and he does understand! When he does something "good", I'd give him praises like "Good job, you can ____ on your own!" - he also likes a bit of cheeky self-praise by "showing off" what he can do to us and getting us to clap for him 😅 All fun and cute, but it also signifies to me that being acknowledged for what he accomplish himself is important to him!

Read more
VIP Member

I speak to my boy like he is a little adult, I don't baby talk him. I encourage him always, by the time he was 14 months old he could climb up the slide and play on his ownand not afraid of heights. I will assure him that I will be there should he need me to help him. now at 28 months old, he is more independent and able to make decisions for himself, like what to wear, what to eat. he will also tell me his preferences on what he wants to play, and how he wants to play.

Read more
VIP Member

I always try to praise good behaviour and call my kids out on bad behaviour. Especially with bad behaviour, I never call them names like "bad girl " or " naughty kid." I always highlight the behaviour itself. So I say "what you did was bad" "pinching your sister is not nice." I don't label them as bad; I label the behaviour as bad.

Read more
VIP Member

Noped. Is time to speak proper english. Many times we like to speak old fashion or singlish. i will praised my girl. Eg Well done. Good Job. Things not done well. Eg No you cant do that, its ok, you can do it.

Read more
VIP Member

since i know the existence of my girl in my womb, i talk as per normal. a mixture of old style. and talking to them like a normal adult encourages better understanding

If he does things right, I praise. I dun say things like " i think u can't" I say " u can do it , do it yourself" or " if u can do it, u get it"

I always give him positive encouragement. and praise the effort he placed in completing something.

VIP Member

No. Time to praise i will praise! i won't say clever boy. But i will say well done' Good job!

i speak in full sentences. and i don't over praise. praise when necessary.

whatever he does that you feel is right, praise him.