How much should a family earn in order to survive in Singapore ?

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It really depends on each family needs and wants. Do they want to enjoy restaurants once in a while? Do they need to travel at least once a year and their destinations? How many kids do they have? Are they super hands on or required some help like FT or PT maid? Actually low income can also survive in Singapore, like stay in rental flat, eat very simple meals, dont splurge much, no extra leisure money and enrichment on kids.

Read more
VIP Member

Survive is different from thrive. To survive I think 3k household is possible, to thrive I suggest atleast 8-10k household income. HDB loan - $1,500 Helper - $750 Car - $1,500 (parking/monthly fee) Grocery -$1,000 (including milk/diapers) Preschool - $800 4 Weekend outings - $1000 Family insurance - $500 Parents combined allowance - $1,000 Here I am basing it on a family of 4 with two kids under 5

Read more

Depending on how many people there are, what are your needs and wants. For some, they can't do without a car, others may be content with just basic needs such as meals and a shelter. No amount of money is every sufficient. Earn more, spend more. It totally depends on you. For a family of husband, wife, toddler and a baby. $1.5knett is possible.

Read more

It really depends on how much e family spend. Some ppl can't live without buying branded bags/items while some juz need $ for 3 basic meals, basic neccesities to feed & provide the family. There r rich ppl who came to singapore saying tat it is so expensive to live in here!

I think it really depends on your lifestyle..i think we're very blessed in Singapore that we have a choice if we want to live humbly or luxuriously. I mean, not many developed places in the world where you can get a nice meal at $4.

VIP Member

It depends how you want your lifestyle to be. There are parents with low income still being happy as a family. Weigh out the needs and wants. from there you can know how much you need to sustain a family in singapore.

Read more

It depends. But no frills, not cas tight all the time, no car, no maid, no fancy vacation. I would say about 3 take home is ok for family of 4. Comfortable.

The best tip is to spend within your means. The more you earn the more you tend to spend. So I wouldn’t give any benchmark to how much a family should earn.

VIP Member

Depends on how much that family spends, what kind of lifestyle they want to live and how comfortable they want to be living!

TapFluencer

It depends on so many things. If your lifestyle is lavish and you also have a helper, I would say 10k and above.