How much does it cost to raise a child in Singapore?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It really depends, for babies you might be saving a sum if u are breastfeeding and using napkins or reusable diapers. Then after it depends what schools(govt or private), any enrichment. What other misc activities? Then the list goes on, as they gets older. Tuition, swimming, violin, piano, arts, ballet etc. Some parents even send their kids for prep class before pri sch to prep for it. And also if are you letting them wear branded, or just any nice clothes that u can grab(for me i get my clothes from taobao, i got all carters zara ralphlauren at first but i got over it, its really not a need cos they age out fast). Oh then u get the diaper bags, some parents are jujube fans its like a premium in diaper bags. Or even stokke/quinny stroller at $1k, u can get a wonderful maclaren/combi at $300+ too(sorry that im a cheapo, i got my 2nd maclaren for $50 but it was as good as new) Some get WC Tulas which can cost over a thousand, well u could also get a tula at $200+ right? Why go gaga over the prints. But then again no offence to Tula fans. Its just like a hobby to some mummies. I am on formula milk, i spend about $400-500 monthly as of now(son is coming 1 yr old). My take is, no matter how much u can afford. Its always possible to raise a child.

Read more

I think it's a very hard question to answer because like many of the parents here say, it depends on a lot of things. Just to share my expenses - before your child goes to infant care or child care, the expenses are mainly on diapers, milk and maybe insurance. After your child goes to preschool, that's when the financial burden becomes heavier. For my 2.5 year old preschooler, he goes to Montessori school so the monthly fees after subsidy are about $1,000, but the diapers and milk costs go down because he uses less diapers and drinks less milk as he grows up. And we spend some of our extra cash on toys =D But i think whatever the expenses come up to, parents will want to give their children the best, and don't worry, things will always work out themselves.

Read more

If your child is a Singapore citizen, u will save more. Cos there are the dollar to dollar top up which I used to offset my baby's infant care fees (Sparkletots is much cheaper than Pte Sch). It's enough for me through the 12months there. I breastfed. Got my dual pump from my friends as gift. Bought milk bags online that is so cheap. Diaper is cheaper at younger age. Less than $100 a month. Vaccination is mostly free in poly clinic. I think it's about the choice you made. Cos I brought my baby to Pte Sch, enrichment class and Pte clinic to do vaccination which costs more. As for the cost in the future, it depends on inflation. I am a working mum with no maid to help and I survived.

Read more
VIP Member

This is a very vague question. A parent with a lower family income might need much lesser to raise a child as compared to a parent with a higher income. However, I believe the rule still remains simple. Never compare with others. Raise your child the way you hope they will grow up to be. A child who never attend expensive enrichment classes need not be any lesser fortunate than a child who do. It depends on how much love & effort the parent spend on the child.

Read more

I think it depends.... as bringing up a kids is not only essential items you giving them.... we got to give them enrichment tooo... entertainment too... milk powder to food to diaper to clothes to studies to enrichment like art and craft phonics tution baking class music class Gym class that's a long list.. 9mth old need 500bucks a mth 3 yrs old go childcare need almost 1000bucks a mth 10yrs old need the least 300 bucks.... that's my list..

Read more

It's actually very subjective. Perhaps you might wana ask yourself what's your expectation? Nowadays all parents are very kiasu; want their kids to be gd in everything hence will send their pre-schoolers to all types of enrichment classes (like phonics, chinese, Abacus, Music, Arts, Computer, Swimming and many more). Are you one of them?

Read more

Well it actually varies a lot. Depends on what quality of life do you Want to give to your child. It can be affordable if you send him to government school and only bring him to Parks or those free activities around. I think the responsibility is something that we need to consider more rather than cost.

Read more

I think is around 1million depend on your requirement Bringing a child up to tertiary education level can cost new parents between $190k and $700k Below is link for your reference http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/childrenhealth/Pages/How-Much-Does-It-Cost-to-Raise-a-Child.aspx

Read more
VIP Member

It's a very individual Qs. I don't send my kids to enrichment, and so with a single income of my hubby, we can doing so call well with it as long we don't spend luxury with it. Follow closely with Lazada promotion, and other related sites too, use shopback for rebates, it's help to save a lot for other use too.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for your tips and reply!!

it actually depend.. depending wat u wan to give ur child.. if u give to all private school and all sort of enrichment lesson it will cost a lot more compare to u sending them to government school and wo enrichment classess..