I am very curious... if husband earn more than wife, should he contribute more money to the family?

51 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

-.- Marriage is an equal partnership. Financial contribution should start at 50:50 and one should try to live on the lowest income member so that both can contribute equally. I have seen so many marriage went down the hill because one party expect the richer party to contribute more or married the other party because of $.$ (entitlement) The above rule should not stop the richer party to spend more on his/her spouse but it must be out of his/her own free will. If the richer party is expected to contribute more, then the union is based on financial needs and not love. Which rich person dare to married someone poorer? If there are to be gender equality, we need to stop this mind set.

Read more
5y ago

Wow, this actually makes sense... I earn less than the kids' father, and he always expected me to contribute as much as he does. So I still think the 50:50 ratio is unreasonable. Perhaps calculating by percentage would be more logical.

I would say yes. Same to the logic if the wife earns more, the wife should contribute more. Contribute meaning that pay more for the grocery etc. however, there is no need to draw an obvious line or do any recording of transactions. So long both knows who has been paying more. But the lower income spouse can always initiate the spending as well. My stand would be yes. I don't think union is based on financial needs in this case. Because as much as you love your spouse and knowing he/she earns lesser, you would want to give more so he/she can have some spare for himself or herself in times of needs.

Read more

Hmm.. I earn more than my Husband. So is it that I should contribute more? LOL! It's all base on mutual agreement and for us is 50/50 but importantly cannot be calculative as at times cannot be so accurate exactly 50/50. Sometimes my Husband pay more, sometimes I pay more. Apart from the monthly allowance he give me, he will still spend $ on us as and when he want. Doesn't mean he pass me allowance, everything deduct from there. Importantly both Husband & Wife are contributing

Read more
VIP Member

Personal feel is hub should pay more. Nobody knows the future and if he will be the same, i'd rather save up my money in the unfortunate event if he ever wants to dump e family. Pessimistic i know but i rather plan in that way, money gives me security

Why make rules? I think if any party needs financial assistance for paying bills or family expenses, they should just be open to their partner about it and settle it like adults. If there is no need then why try to control the other person's finances?

VIP Member

Yes I feel He should . Especially when more expenses are on kids then the more he should contribute if he able to . If not discuss with him what’s the reason behind that he can’t ?

I feel yes. The higher earner should contribute more to the family since as a family no one should be so calculative to fix it at 50:50. The higher income should take more initiative

It really depends on both your arrangement. For me, I always pay whatever I can. Then my wife can save whatever she can. She feel safer when she has more money.

The ideal is yes but in this modern world I think the men won't think of it as such. As long as the wife is working, contribution may be little or none or best scenario is shared.

Yea, ideally. But don’t make it a “must” because if you turn it around and Wife earns more than Husband, should the Wife contribute more money? Just thinking out loud..