How much did your spouse earn to be able to be a stay home parent?

Am genuinely curious how much one must earn for the other to stay at home to take care of kids.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends on both you and your spouse's commitment such as parents to take care, how many children you have, housing loan, any vehicle etc. I know someone who is single and earning 20+k per month but still taking money from his parents due to his luxurious lifestyle. I also know someone who earning about 3k per month and has 3 young children yet no problem (of course they forgo things like overseas holidays, dining in restaurant etc)

Read more

it really depends on individuals lifestyle before having kids, we used to earn 10k+ a month with no saving😅 we spent, we travelled, we enjoyed life.... I was terminated last July due to Covid, currently🤰with a 2years old boy, we can't afford to have same lifestyle anymore with extra 2 headcount and 1/2 of our previous earning, we've to plan our $ wisely 😉

Read more

I don't think the amount matters because if both parents are working and have to hire a babysitter, it is still going to cost money. If mommy is at home taking care of the kids it doesn't cost anything but all expenses will be on daddy. So, it's a matter of preference:)

depends? i’m a full time mum, not working. husband is working grab, average income is probably $1000+/- n we have no issues, more than enough actually

VIP Member

It’s totally depends on the family expenditures.. we can live with 3k n also not sufficient if we earn 10k , it’s totally depends on the life style

4k. enough for average lifestyle. house/car/insurance/expenses and abit of savings. no luxury.

I think it depends on your family's lifestyle

At least 3k above

about $1,500