tummy time

how to go about doing tummy time with newborn? and when go do it? before or after feeding? when baby is awake or asleep?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We started doing tummy time on our lo when she was about 3 months old. She disliked being placed on her tummy and would cry whenever she was in that position. In order to encourage her to lift her head up, i rolled up a blanket and put it under her arms & chest to act as a support. I would put her on her tummy after diaper change and before her feedings. Should you want to put baby on tummy after feeding, you may want to wait for an hr before doing so. Starting you may want to place baby on tummy for 1 min (from the time baby begin to lift up) and slowly increase the time as baby grows stronger. If baby really dislike to be on his/her tummy, you may put baby on your chest to start off.

Read more
VIP Member

Tummy time can be done anytime from 3mth up. Place baby on a mat or clean floor with clean muslin cloth. Let baby be in that position for 1min, 2 min & slowly increase each time. Rem, first time for baby, baby will feel uncomfortable and may cry so I recommend small increment of time. Better do it before feeding or at least 2-3 hours after feeding. You do not want your baby to spit out immediately after feeding.

Read more

Place your baby on his tummy on a playmat or clean towel. Surround your baby with a few favorite toys. Try to keep your baby belly-down for three to five minutes, two to three times a day. As your baby begins enjoying tummy time, work up to longer and more frequent sessions throughout the day.

when baby is awake ,how ever don't star too early better from 3 months,avoid tummy time right after feeding,i do after shower when baby wake up and happy

4y ago

Does your paediatrician say not to start before 3 months?

Super Mum

When baby is awake. Let baby digest first so not immediately after feed. For newborn, can start by putting baby on your chest

Super Mum

Do it when baby is awake and before feeding. Just gently put baby on the tummy for a few minutes.

Super Mum

Don't do right after feeding. Wait an hour. If he js not fussy b4 feeding then you can do

Super Mum

I do it when my baby is awake.. I just put her on my chest for few minutes.

Hey, Best to do it when baby is awake. Do it for 5-7 minutes

Before feeding.