Government versus private hospital, which one will you choose and why? Most of my friends chose private over government hospital to deliver their baby. Can anyone enlighten me on the reasons?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I delivered in Thomson Medical Center, because I had an antenatal package with the clinic that I was having my pregnancy checkups with - it was a sub branch of TMC in my area. Didn't regret either because it's not that much extra over government hospitals (I had a normal vaginal delivery, gas relief, no epidural, free upgrade by my gynae from 4 to 2 bedded) and hence it was so much more reassuring - like most other mums, I've heard and read many horror stories of delivering government hospitals, even though the likelihood of them happening to me is little. I was a young single mum (delivered when I was 19 years old) so I was really afraid of being judged/mistreated by the nurses because of my age and circumstances but they were really friendly and supportive! Well, I also enjoyed the attention, air-conditioning and great food so it felt more of a mini vacation for me - the nurses were also very helpful after the delivery too.

Read more

I chose private. For me I chose private because I heard many horror stories of government hospital from my mommy friends. I heard that as public hospital are usually high in demand, the place is often crowded. I have a few friends who told me that they were left unattended for several hours while waiting for dilation. My friend who was fully dilated was asked to hold on and not push as the doctor was not around. I personally delivered in Mount Alvernia Hospital and their nurses are very experienced and provided very good service. They came into my labour ward every 15 mins to check on my dilation. When I was close to full dilation, a few nurses and midwives came in to assist me and advise me on how to push. While my doctor was on her way, the midwives taught me and led me to start pushing.

Read more
4y ago

May i check with you for the hospital that you gave birth able to cover the medical bills with medisave? If yes, maximum how much? Thanks!

VIP Member

I delivered in a government hospital (NUH) and I really liked it. Delivering in a public hospital meant that I was eligible for subsidies. The standard of care was also very professional even though I wasn't a private patient. The standard protocol is skin to skin contact for about an hour and lots of emphasis on breastfeeding. They also practice rooming in, where the baby is beside the mother 24/7. Also, if complications occur, they have all the facilities and equipment needed to treat us without having to transfer hospitals.

Read more
VIP Member

I chose private, Raffles Hospital to be exact. I love the attention and care I receive, the nurses are very alert and helpful, they provide any sort of assistance even up to helping on and off the bed without me even asking. I love how friendly the doctors and nurses are, and they listen to anything I have to say. Last but not least, the doctors wear bow ties, which i find really cute!

Read more

I choose government, NUH too as it is nearer to my house. Apart from this reason, in case my baby is pre-matured the cost of hospitalisation will be lesser as compared to private hospital. Most people prefer private hospital could be partly due to the fees between private and government private patient are comparable and thus chose private over government.

Read more
VIP Member

If you have the budget to go private, go for it! Since you’re the one giving birth, you’ll need abit of pampering. I mean the friendly helpful help of the nurses. It would be Less stressful for you.. everything will be taken care for u.

VIP Member

I chose TMC but honestly KKH is quite good for a gov hospital. Their services have improved a great deal in recent years.

VIP Member

i choose tmc. private. After all the attention in hospital is much higher and standard is much better

VIP Member

tmc. private. good gynae. dr benjamin tham and fast admin work

thanks