My girl is 6 months old whenever I bring her out in the day ard 12pm, travelling to the location, she is perfectly fine and good. But when we are going back home around 6pm. She just seems impatient in the train. She would scream and cry as thou the train crowd offended her. It's on a weekend. We didn't tired her out during the outing. Me and hubs merely went for a meal and then walk around in lesser crowd areas and back home. Why is this so?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hey mummy, I think the other mummies have made very good points - but just thought I'd add in something! A good guideline would be 15 hours of sleep including 2-3 naps at 6 months old, so being tired could be a reason of the crankiness even though she sleeps through the night :) In addition to that, she could also be over-stimulated like what other mummies said. Generally, an actual hour outside home is equivalent to 2 hours outside for them - so being outside for 6 hours feels like 12 hours for them because they are a lot more aware of the surroundings, sounds and whatnots! This may sound weird but there are some kids (like my son and I) who just have a preference in transport too! When I was young, my mum said that I loved taxis and hated public transport - while my son loved trains and buses but hated travelling in cars. Another thing could be the disturbance to her routine. As you mentioned, you tried it on two Sundays - which is about 7 days apart, and with no other occurrences in-between. For young kids, they don't have an understanding of how many days in a week or month - they only know it's day-night-day-night. So, if you try to disturb the routine, she'll get cranky! Other things you can look at are whether her diapers were soiled, whether she's hungry, whether she's uncomfortable (eg. being too hot) etc. Sometimes, it could be the sounds of public transport (eg. announcements, door bells, door closing sounds) that scare/panic them too! There are some children who are okay with being out for a long period of time, but usually they start as soon as one month old or even before confinement ends - there are also those who take a longer time to adjust, so you just have to take things a bit at a time! My son was only okay with going to further places when he's over 1 year old - but we only started going out around 7 months old or so. Take things a step at a time, when she gets comfortable with being in nearby areas for a long time - then start going over places, but within 1-2 bus stops/MRT stations so you can get home quick if she's uncomfortable.

Read more

Hi mummy, there are many reasons for the crankiness. Check on her nap, meal times. Also ensure that she is not soiled. If all are done, then prob check whether she is babywear or in stroller. Baby in babywear can be hot and irritable at times. Otherwise, it is just a phase and she will get used to the walking.

Read more
VIP Member

My kids always turn cranky and angsty during our outing trips especially during evening. What i find that it helps is, i would ensure they take their afternoon nap. Secondly, give a simple wipe down and a change of clothes for them to feel fresh. probably they feel sticky or uncomfortable.

Read more
TapFluencer

Does she nap between 12pm to 6pm? If not, most probably she is tired hence became cranky. My boy normally nap in the stroller when we are out so we can travel everywhere and no need to rush back. Others possibilities could be hungry or soiled diaper.

by evening, she's overtired as she has missed her naps. she needs constant motion to keep herself distracted from her overstimulated mind. try not to bring her out for too long and on days where her naps will be missed, push bedtime earlier.

8y ago

actually we just wan to try if we can go a bit further rather than always hanging out at the nearby malls. we choose a direct train ride reach a mall rather than having to keep changing mrt lines. we only do on Sunday. we tried twice and so happen both times she react this way and we stop already. we feel so paiseh to disturb the rest of the passengers.

That sounds absolutely normal. Somehow kids seem to be tuned in a similar way. For a 6 month old baby, 12pm to 6pm is very long. Babies need a strict routine and they like familiarity.

She needs her afternoon nap. I always bring stroller out since my baby is young till now 18 months. She'll fall asleep in the stroller.

8y ago

I used to face the same with my girl. She would cry inconsolably in the evenings especially when we are out. She is also like this even when we go to my in laws place for dinner which is 10min away. Just be patient. It will get better as she grows older.

She may be oversitmulated. Stick towards the nap time and milk time