My 28 mths old lo just wouldnt want to walk on her own when we are out and also wouldnt want to sit in a pram. Im so so so tired to carry her as she is ard 14kg! She starts to make a scene, cry and shout when i put her down. Tried using carrier but i think she is just too heavy to be in it and i feel so uncomfortable with sore shoulders. What should i do?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine is 32 months now and she too, is always wanted to be carried. No strollers or carriers (at least for the last 4-6 months). When she wants me to carry her, I will carry her for a while and at the same time explaining to her that she’s a big girl now, and she needs to walk on her own, and if she doesn’t want to walk, the only way is to sit in the stroller. I also tell her that grandpa and grandma is old, and gets tired easily, and can’t carry her for long. Sometimes if there are other toddlers nearby who are walking on their own, I will also explain that she should walk on the own too. Normal after that, she will say that she wants to walk and not be carried as she is already grown up. So I think the best way is to explain and educate them. Let them know what is right and what is wrong. You’ll be surprise that they actually listen to u more when u explain rather than scolding or shouting at them!

Read more

This is the way I did it with my elder one. He too didn't want to walk on his own and he is too heavy for me to carry, I told him that if he do not want to walk on his own or sit in the stroller, we are not going out or we will not bring him out. Slowly he started to walk on his own as he knows that if he doesn't, he don't get to go out. If this doesn't work, you can consider getting a soft structured carrier or wraps to do back carry. It will be of lesser strain to your shoulders. Do note that your child is 28 months, she may need a toddler carrier instead of a standard/baby one. Toddler carrier have more support compared to standard/baby ones.

Read more

I believe that she is an attention seeker. You may wish to talk and educate her when opportunity arises. Example, when children of her age are walking, you can highlight to her and praised the other party for being an understanding gal. Also, you may wish to praise her clothes that we is wearing, in this way, to stay pretty and noticeable by others, she needs to walk by herself so that everyone can admire her nice clothes. If still doesn't work and you wish to carry her, get a babywearing sling or a hip seat carrier. It does help to ease your shoulder burden a little.

Read more

28 months? means just a little over 2 years. you can definitely carry her in a stroller if she does not want to walk. i have a light weight stroller that i used it for my first born till she was about 5 (of course the later years it was used when we went on trips and there was a lot of walking), and now my second baby also uses it, she is almost 4. i don't know how you can tell a 2 year old that she is too heavy, and how you can expect her to understand? you can easily buy a good stroller online

Read more

Might not seem like the nicest thing to do but you can tell her that she is getting too heavy and you can't carry her anymore because it hurts you. That's what my friend did with her 3 year old who went through a phase of not wanting to walk. He eventually agreed to walk on his own as he doesn't want to "hurt mommy anymore".

Read more

you can definitely use a light stroller for her at this age. these are easily foldable too, and very lightweight, but can easily take the weight of a 4 year old as well. i know you want her to walk, but at this age, they get tired very easily, and when mom or dad are around, most babies want to be picked up :)

Read more

Use stroller and sometime show your angry face. And what type stroller is good to use? I have seen some good stroller list here https://totalguide.org/best-jogging-stroller/ and buy depending on your budget.

what I did to my son whenever he wants carry, I ACT like I will left him alone, at first he cried but then it became usual to him.. he dont wanna be left so he will walk on his own.. he is 19kg. when he's 2 ..

Have you tried using a stroller?

What about a travel stroller?