Hubby’s involvement in baby duties

Dear mummies how involved are your husbands on day to day baby duties? My hubby reaches home at 7pm, we have dinner and he only spends a v short time with baby before I prepare her for bed time at 9pm. Full latch until she falls asleep. I have tried asking him to bottle feed but after that he can’t get baby to sleep successfully and I still need to wrap up. Also saying I need to understand as he is working and I am not. I am like yes you are working but work life was so much easier than SAHM with no income and 24/7 job with lesser sleep than him. He is outside watching TV while I latch baby to sleep and expect baby to sleep with no fussiness and when he’s tired just come into bedroom to sleep. I feel like I am all alone in parental duties sometimes.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i feel you mummy 😢 im home for my ML and my hubs is working alone as a grab rider. tho its a flexible work, he spends alot of time chasing orders. there are days he spend more than 24hrs outside. and ofc he will complain abt him being tired and such. so ill let him sleep once he's home. once he's awake, i make it a point for him and our baby to spend time tgt atleast 1hr. at first, we have alot of arguements bc the 'im more tired than you are' kinda thing. whenever he say 'you only at home mah. whats so tiring abt it? i have to cycle to and fro for us yknow' all i answered was 'you tired, you can off your app and rest. im home, taking care of baby, cook for you, do laundry, clean the house and room, entertain baby playtime and cryings. i tired from all that, can i off baby's mouth like grab app and I rest?? answer me' he kept quiet. i also left our baby to him when i have urgent matters, he keep calling, asking what to do. barely 3hrs,the calls and messages bombard. reached home, he's half ded. well, i thft tk myself, my qns to him quite powerful hor 😂

Read more
4y ago

Haha maybe I need to let me husband experience the same. They like to say they working we at home but I def sleep less than him and being at home is so much tougher than Normal work life. Like you said apart from feeding need to entertain when baby is awake etc. They need me time we need time away from baby sometimes also

VIP Member

SAHM is the worst!! Sorry to say but I hate it when people say “u dun have to work but we need, u can rest anytime u want”! I feel like strangling the person and say, then let’s exchange our roles for a week! Sahm covers all aspects in the house, eg not restricted to; baby care 24/7, chores: nvr ending, cooking 3 meals a day plus snacks for baby & older kids (if any), packing for outing, laundries and not forgetting, breaking up siblings fights, teach them to do their homework, etc etc the list is endless. And people say oh ‘you can sleep when bb sleep ma’. Hello, dun need to do housework or eat ah? That window of opportunity is the opportunity to do what we can’t do when bb is awake. Unless I dun have to do all of the above, only require to tc of baby, then I have nothing to complain. Other than that, anyone who says sahm is leading a easier life, pls shut up. Haha That’s y my hubby dun utter the word tired in front of me.

Read more
4y ago

Thank you mummy that is exactly how I feel. Hubby says just zz when baby sleeps but though she is asleep I need to decide cooking and eating more important vs sleep. I am FTM can’t imagine when there are 2 kids or more to run after! My hubby also says you can rest anytime you want to.... I also wish I can sleep 12-630am then...

Let him take care of the baby 1 day over the weekend. He will know. We are more tiring. We r facing baby 24/7. We can't even take an hr or 2 to relax ourselves. My hubby works too. After work he will help out with the household chores and also baby. Weekend he will bath for baby. Play and have bonding. When I do moping or vacuum he will bring children n baby out for walk at the park. So I can concentrate. At times he will cook as well. As I don't have time or pretty tired. Get him invole. By letting go 2hrs let him try. You will say u go do something urgent or maybe awhile break. Then he will know. Bringing money back doesn't mean is a big deal. We need to share duty as baby are both of you all.

Read more

My hubby will try his best to get involved as much as I felt he has a full day outside. Sometimes, we will think SAHM is more tiring but at times hubby has to face a lot of things at works, with colleagues, customers, boss etc So I say, try not to get upset so much compare else it will make your life miserable. Maybe work out with your hubby that try to help out after his work once a week and then full involvement during weekends. BTW I'm a SAHM too.. I do felt the same way u did but I gave it a lot of thoughts and felt this will caused a lot of arguments and unhappiness if you compared too much.. Enjoy your time with your baby :) Jiayou! 💪🏻

Read more

Form the moment his back, get shower and dinner for himself I think there is still ample time for your hub to spent time with baby.. Maybe you can ask him to wipe down baby every time he comes back before shower or dinner. Just to have a bit of body contacts with baby and little time spent. And so that u can have some breather? If not than ask him to read 2 or 3 bed time story (should be very fast) before u latch.

Read more

we split the load as i’m exclusively pumping. he says he understand that i’m tired & will ask me to get rest. normally daytime he will take care of baby as much as he can & i’ll take the night shift as i still need to wake up to pump, that way he can get the rest he needs to care for baby during the day.

Read more
VIP Member

You need to tell him that you need a break too from taking care of baby. A SAHM is a full-time job too! Ask him to wipe down baby, change diapers and coax baby to sleep. It doesn’t matter if baby doesn’t sleep when he is coaxing. Let your husband continue to try! Practice makes perfect!

4y ago

Thank you for your encouragement mummy 🥰

Hi, I can understand that you have a lot on your plate. I think it is the responsibility of both husband and wife to help each other :) I suggest you speak to your husband in detail about this and help him understand that he also needs to help and take care of the baby

Super Mum

Have him help with changing diapers maybe? Or at least share some household chores - i appreciate it when my husband help out. He's very hands on though, he helps change diapers, bathe baby, send & pick baby up from infant care, bottle feed, etc.

VIP Member

I’m totally in your shoes. Latch on demand and nurse baby to sleep. Maybe you can try hinting him like telling your baby, daddy going to change your pampers ok? Then your husband will get the hint?

4y ago

hahah i always do that whenever i need to do something else 😂 he got no choice but to do 🤪