My baby is 10 months old, we co sleep with my baby. He will sleep only by sucking my breast and then keep sucking until close to half an hour and fall asleep. In the night he wakes up close to 3 times again suck suck until he falls asleep. Daddy tried to make him sleep on all the occasions however he will cry and cry and we give up and let him suck. I am feeling exhausted and this is only during night as I am working Mother. I have never given him pacifier however should I give him pacifier now, feeling helpless.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You should try sleep training him, there are a few methods you can try (google ‘baby sleep training’). My baby used to be exactly like yours up until around 7 months, we both barely got any sleep and I felt exhausted, I was about to go insane. That’s when I decided - this is enough, I need to sleep so that I can function and take care of my baby. After that, I started putting my baby in a separate room, we went through the sleep training for about a week and a half (lots of crying, be prepared). At first she woke up a few times a night. But after a while she started sleeping all through the night and my physical and mental health improved tremendously.

Read more
VIP Member

Your baby has developed a sleep association whereby he's using your boobs as props to help him sleep. It's not because he's hungry but rather he is so used to being nursed to sleep. Even if you use pacifier you are also actually introducing another sleep prop because he would need you to put it back for him when he loses the pacifier. The best thing is for you to teach him the art of self settling so that he doesn't wake up in between his sleep cycles.

Read more
8y ago

And how can I do that as I agree with you as he wil cry and cry if he does not get my boob

For your sanity's sake, maybe you can try a pacifier :-) I don't think there is anything wrong with that. And of course, you can try sleep training him. Let him cry for a couple of minutes before you soothe him. Then keep the duration before you soothe him longer and longer. Like from 10 minutes to 20 minutes to 30 minutes. I know it's hard but eventually they will be able to self soothe themselves. Hope this helps.

Read more

There's no harm giving him a pacifier. Alot of my working mom friends who faced same problems as you turned to the pacifier and found that it was the answer all along. One of them took a rather extreme route and stopped co sleeping and made baby sleep in her own crib. It didn't work at first but baby eventually got used to it.

Read more

Try to side latch. I mastered side latching as soon as i can so i can sleep while baby needs to nurse. I sleep without my top, so when my boy wants to drink, he will roll over to me, & my body auto will help him to my boob while i am asleep. ^^ Its a life saver! Google side latching positions.

5y ago

I had same prob before. I stop nurse because my baby bite my nipple too hard. One day i gave up, we (my baby and i) cried like the the world is going to end. Next night, i put him to sleep very late, he already sleepy enough, let him drink his milk using bottle, he went to sleep easily because he already tired and sleepy. Sometimes, i hide myself under the blanket. When he wakeup, he just go to his father bacause he didnt see me and of course if he sees, his father become no one. Haha His father will wrap him around his arm and sing lullaby. He will just easily sleep again unless he really wanted milk.

VIP Member

Get him on a routine (very important!), teach him self settling skills which you can either get from books or website or hire a sleep training consultant to guide you along the way.

VIP Member

My LO cries each time the pacifier drops out. So it really depends. Getting it on and latter will hard to kick the habit

I understand how you feel! My baby is 3 months and doing the same.

My baby uses pacifier at teether. Which is cute to look at.