Breastfeeding diet

Hi breastfeeding mummies, any of u control your diet while u breast feed? Does it really affect the baby when baby drinks the milk? There seems to be so many and too many food that cant be eaten. Especially now that i am still in confinement, ive heard breastfeeding mummies cannot eat and drink herbs or chicken essence etc as it will affect baby. But being on confinement, we need herbs and those food to replenish energy. Anyone can share your experience? Should i eat or should i not?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I didn’t control my diet when I was doing my confinement. I ate whatever my confinement nanny cooked but I did tell her to cut down on the ginger and wine as my baby had jaundice. When my baby was 5 months old and fully breastfed, I noticed some rashes on her face and body. Her PD diagnosed it to be eczema. Did a skin prick test and we realised she was sensitive to peanuts. So apparently, every time I eat peanuts or drink soup with peanuts, it will get into the breast milk and she will have a flare up which will take days to clear. I stopped eating nuts. We started her on probiotics then to improve her gut health. Now that she is older now and started on solids, we realised she is also sensitive to certain food types and will flare up when the weather is hot. My take is that you can eat food with herbs and chicken essence. You just need to be mindful and monitor your baby for any allergic reaction via breastmilk. Some babies are sensitive to sesame, soy and cow’s milk so some mummies cannot eat those too.

Read more

Hi! I semi controlled my diet during confinement. I ate whatever my confinement nanny cooked and avoided things that are 'cooling' like pineapple, cucumber etc. Apparently yam is a no-no but i have no idea why. Post confinement I didn't watch my diet as I really wanted to eat spicy and fried stuff 😅 I have since cut those out as I noticed that my baby gets baby acne every time I ate those, and her face will be covered in tiny papules. Now I eat most things in moderation, no special diet. Completely no alcohol and coffee for me. I took coffee once and she was extra fussy for that day. Alcohol that has been cooked properly was okay for me. I think different babies might be sensitive to different food and drink, perhaps just monitor closely on your baby's reactions. Also, hydrate well! I observed a drop in my supply when I'm not hydrated.

Read more

I didn’t really eat chicken Essence or any sorts of herbs, but during confinement I didn’t take any fried or spicy food. Ate a lot of soup like fish soup noodles. I’m not sure how healthy u have to eat, but the food we take definitely affects the milk. I realise that when I eat healthier food, my milk quality is better.

Read more
Super Mum

I took anything I wanted except alcohol and caffeine. Just eat well and drink well, dear. Don’t read too much. Haha. As for alcohol in cooked food, if the food was cooked such that the alcohol component of the wine evaporated, that’s fine

Super Mum

I drank chicken essences and ate herbs but in moderation. I only do not consume food that may possibly be a milk killer because I was trying to build up my stash of milk in preparation of rainy days and when I return to work

i didn’t take any herbs to replenish my body, didn’t really control what i eat also, i just eat whatever i wanted in moderation n watch if baby has any reaction to it. of course some foods i strictly avoid.

TapFluencer

15 months breadfeeding experience, during confinement I cut down on ginger. Things no no that will affect my supply or my baby: Cabbage Chocolate Mint stuff Coffee Tea Chives Certain herbal soup Bak kut teh

Read more

I didn’t control after confinement. Just less cold and spicy stuff. Confinement just do as per normal. The baby will be able to adapt. Just take note to monitor the baby conditions. No alcohol strictly.

4y ago

What about alcohol cooked in food? Is it ok?

VIP Member

I didn’t control too. Just maybe alcohol. But food added alcohol is fine as they are cooked and evaporated from what I know confinement lady which is safe.

Hi, I think as long you are having food that helps in boosting breastfeeding milk, it should be fine. Do not consume caffeine during this period