Breastfeeding diet

Hi breastfeeding mummies, any of u control your diet while u breast feed? Does it really affect the baby when baby drinks the milk? There seems to be so many and too many food that cant be eaten. Especially now that i am still in confinement, ive heard breastfeeding mummies cannot eat and drink herbs or chicken essence etc as it will affect baby. But being on confinement, we need herbs and those food to replenish energy. Anyone can share your experience? Should i eat or should i not?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I didn’t control my diet when I was doing my confinement. I ate whatever my confinement nanny cooked but I did tell her to cut down on the ginger and wine as my baby had jaundice. When my baby was 5 months old and fully breastfed, I noticed some rashes on her face and body. Her PD diagnosed it to be eczema. Did a skin prick test and we realised she was sensitive to peanuts. So apparently, every time I eat peanuts or drink soup with peanuts, it will get into the breast milk and she will have a flare up which will take days to clear. I stopped eating nuts. We started her on probiotics then to improve her gut health. Now that she is older now and started on solids, we realised she is also sensitive to certain food types and will flare up when the weather is hot. My take is that you can eat food with herbs and chicken essence. You just need to be mindful and monitor your baby for any allergic reaction via breastmilk. Some babies are sensitive to sesame, soy and cow’s milk so some mummies cannot eat those too.

Read more