My baby just turned 4 months. She has yet to learn how to sit unassisted but I would like to get her something that can occupy her and also free up time for my helper. Her current rocker is getting too small (the ingenuity) and I don't want her to constantly just be laying down on the play mat. I'm thinking of buying some of the following for her, which ones are recommended? - bumbo seat - jumperoo - play yard - baby bjorn bouncer (read that she can sit in it till age 2?)

46 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

based on my own experience.... bumbo is good from 4-6 mths to help the baby sit unassisted. can use for feeding too. but u can’t leave the baby unsupervised or in it for too long (probably 10-15mins at most). baby probably won’t want to sit in it once he/she can sit unassisted (usually ard 6-7 mths). jumperoo/ exersaucer/ activity center is good from 5.5-8 mths (only when neck is firm & can sit unassisted) to keep the baby entertained for short periods of time (longest was 15-20 mins for mine). baby probably won’t want to stay in it once he/she starts cruising (usually ard 8-9 mths). play yard is good from 6+ mths onwards (when baby starts learning how to crawl) to keep the baby & toys in a confined area for longer period of time. however it’s very bulky (takes up a lot of space in the house) & not very portable (can’t see the baby if busy in the kitchen, etc). bouncer is good till 6-7mths for the baby to lounge ard the house, etc. but baby probably won’t want to sit in it once he/she can sit unassisted (usually ard 6-7 mths). for now 4 mths old.. a play mat (i’m using parklon), lots of (hanging, rolling, etc) toys & tummy time will be good....

Read more
VIP Member

Jumperoo is for baby to jump, Exersaucer is the same as jumperoo, just that Exersaucer can't jump. Bumbo seat life span is short, u can start with high chair instead. If ikea one, u can buy the cushion together, if not u can put pillow behind instead. Play yard, it's really good to prevent baby from climbing, crawling to dangerous area. If u have more space, those 6 panels is good, bigger space to roam around freely. Baby bjorn bouncer more for laying down? Not recommend as it's don't really sit straight instead. Fisherprice rocker is better, can sit straight with going down, but baby bjorn is like yao lan, the more weight, the more down it is. As for walker, got 2 saying, some baby didn't use walker and start to walk early too, if got jumperoo or Exersaucer don't need walker. Anyway all 3 of them is equally big and work about the same, lifespan is about till 1 year old +-, choose 1 will do, of course if got budget, can get more.

Read more

Based on my exp, tummy time! My first born i listened to too many old folks saying to put my baby in the walker helping so called stand straight and walk faster but it Definitely did not, nor does it help my child sit unassisted (few other developement delays as well), but my 2nd born i did a lot of tummy time as soon as 2months (because im still afraid to do it earlier because the umbilical cord still attached,) There was a huge difference she started sitting unassisted at 5months, walking at 8months, and has a big vocab by 12months she can talk in proper sentences. Im doing the same for my 3rd one 💯💯💯

Read more

My cousin uses a play yard because it allow my niece plenty of space to play in it. My cousin likes to keep most of my niece's toys within the play yard so that there is less clutter around the house. My niece is used to playing by herself in there, my cousin often could do some household chores without having to worry about my niece's safety. If you are considering getting one, she recommends the brand Haenim. It is a Korean brand and she found it sturdy and safe for my niece. It is available from this authorised dealer: https://www.koreacraze.com.sg/products/playyards.html

Read more

My son used to have an exersaucer. Its good to let him be occupied and we can have some handsfree time. I let him sit on it for about 20-30 mins interval each time. Otherwise, i will put him in the cot. I also got a bumbo when he was 4 months, but his thighs never fit into it. So it was a waste of money. I guess a bouncer would not be necessary. After sometime baby will try to sit up, it might not balance well.

Read more

Play yard is a better choice but it occupies alot of space. You can simply throw in different toys/books to keep her occupy and she can lie down rest when she's tired. I usually leave them in play yard so that they dont crawl/ walk around the house when I'm busy with my chores. Bumbo seat/ jumperoo, exersaucer/ bouncer - they are being tied to the seat; dont think they will feel comfortable after awhile.

Read more

These kind of toys are not yet recommendable for 6months and below. What I have been buying when my children were 3-6 months old are musical toys (infant friendly), play mat, and rattles. I bought a gigantic crib but we decided to place it on the storage because it was useless especially if the baby is not comfortable being left alone.

Read more
VIP Member

It takes time and patience. Just because she is 4 months, dun expect her to hit milestones after another. Take your time and hers too. Do lots of tummy time and teach her how to turnover or have some activities to keep her occupied but yet strength her muscles. Those above mentioned aren’t recommended as it hinders her development. :)

Read more

Play yard is a good choice but it takes up a lot of space and walking area.. It also take up spaces to keep in storeroom in future.. Unless the house is spacious and big can consider to buy.. I'm giving my baby walker to sit and play, put him near the area I'm doing my household chores.. So that I'm able to see what he is doing and he can see me and won't cry..

Read more
VIP Member

The bumbo is great for sitting for short periods and if you get it now, it should last you for a few more months. Jumperoo - good too! Or exersaucer. But these are for your baby when she’s older. Play yard - good if you want to protect her from the rest of the house when she starts crawling.

Read more