Weaning

Baby led weaning or traditional weaning?

174 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Depends on your own preference, as well as your family circumstances :) Most of the older generation do not understand baby led weaning so that may be an issue if they're the main caregivers because you wouldn't want to risk your child choking/getting confused by both weaning methods. However, it is possible to do both at the same time if it's consistent (eg. only baby led weaning on weekends) and you can also transition out from one to another :) We started with traditional weaning because I was at school and my parents didn't understand baby led weaning so they insisted on feeding fruits and only porridge every day ... for 8 months. It was only when I finished school and took some time off as a SAHM that we transitioned to baby led weaning, where my son got introduced to noodles, rice, "Western style food", pancakes etc. I'd say that either way, as long as baby is fed - that's fine :) If you do decide to do baby led weaning, you'd need to prepare a few more things than traditional weaning since you'd need proper utensils and cutlery, but you also need the mental preparation for the mess! Always remember that they're still learning so it's okay for them to make messes, you can always just clean up the mess (use newspaper to line the floor so there's less cleaning to do) after - don't scold your child for creating a mess.

Read more

a mix of both. actually if you do more readings, BLW is a practice of leading baby to self-feed by giving them chances to explore, feel the texture in terms of sensory, train his motor skills in palmer, pincer, then eventually to eat with cutleries, and of course the tastes of food. There's no such restrictions of NOT ALLOWING PURÉE as Puree is also a texture of food. Ideally, it will be ideal to serve baby with mixture of both solid finger food + puree, especially when you first introduced baby to solids. Babies vary from each other. Some babies can accept the finger food and self feeding in a short while, whereas some babies are just not ready for finger food. We don't force baby, but try to encourage baby. you certainly do not want to leave an unpleasant meal experience with baby, same to mother. Afterall, the main objective of weaning to solids to introduce baby with foods at the beginning, they still rely on milk as the main source of diet. Need not be worry or overstress yourself for baby who does not eat well at the beginning. Be open, realistic and optimistic in weaning. A happy mother will result in a happy eating baby :)

Read more
VIP Member

Traditional. I was and am a working mum so when the kids were weaning, I couldn't be always at home during their mealtimes. The thought of the kids gagging and choking was a really serious concern and totally put me off BLW. If no one at home knows first aid or how to properly do a Heimlich maneuver, I personally wouldn't recommend it. Kids have plenty of time to learn to eat on their own.

Read more

Both are fine but you must start traditional weaning lalo na pag alam mong hindi pa nakakakagat si baby at puro sipsip palang ang kaya sa food. Bukod sa machochoke baka hindi rin matunawan. Be patient nalang po. Pag alam mo nang kaya na ni baby BLW, go for it.

Baby Led Weaning! It’s messy, that true but really jump starts a great relationship of kids with food. Plus they get to fully explore foods, their textures, smells, and be in control of their eating. We’ve loved it!

From 5 months started with traditional all purees and mashed food and when my baby turn 7 months old I started to introduce BLW and a mix of traditional weaning still.

TapFluencer

Our 3rd week of blw now! u can check out my instagram @ elroy_says_ho_jiak or my fb page @ baby led weaning (BLW) recipes and support group

Read more
VIP Member

I preferred to go for traditional weaning. I could not deal with the added stress of choking :)

pano maiwasan ang choke? kakatakot e. mag 7months na baby ko pero isang beses ko sya tinry ng blw nag gag sya. katakot. pahelp po

1y ago

ok lang naman if you do traditional weaning kasi kapag 12 mos na sila ganun din naman sa blw ang ending so its ok dont worry mommy

VIP Member

Currently doing traditional. I may try BLW when my girl is around 9 months old coz I worry of choking.