Weaning

Baby led weaning or traditional weaning?

174 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Depends on your own preference, as well as your family circumstances :) Most of the older generation do not understand baby led weaning so that may be an issue if they're the main caregivers because you wouldn't want to risk your child choking/getting confused by both weaning methods. However, it is possible to do both at the same time if it's consistent (eg. only baby led weaning on weekends) and you can also transition out from one to another :) We started with traditional weaning because I was at school and my parents didn't understand baby led weaning so they insisted on feeding fruits and only porridge every day ... for 8 months. It was only when I finished school and took some time off as a SAHM that we transitioned to baby led weaning, where my son got introduced to noodles, rice, "Western style food", pancakes etc. I'd say that either way, as long as baby is fed - that's fine :) If you do decide to do baby led weaning, you'd need to prepare a few more things than traditional weaning since you'd need proper utensils and cutlery, but you also need the mental preparation for the mess! Always remember that they're still learning so it's okay for them to make messes, you can always just clean up the mess (use newspaper to line the floor so there's less cleaning to do) after - don't scold your child for creating a mess.

Read more