73 Replies

VIP Member

I have never had any maids. But I think it depends on your relationship with them. I personally wouldn't prefer to be called ma'am or madam even if I'm not close with her. But I know people who strictly prefer their helpers to call them Ma'am. Their justification is they don't want the helper to cross the line. I stay with my in-laws and a part time helper comes once or twice a month. She calls me sister and I call her Aunty (as she is around my mum's elder sister's age)

Only if helpers knew to maintain that thin line that exists between the employer and the employee, I would always have preferred Ma'am, but you know how things work in our country. If I allow her to call me by my name, next day, she would be crossing her limit in several day today things that take place at home. I do not want to be nice and kind but not friendly towards my maid, so I think Ma'am would help in maintaining that distance.

I prefer to call me by name with Miss before my name. And I call her Miss before her name as well. We’re respect each other in our way. No one need to be put down their pride. Human doesn’t have the same opportunity in life. If you you have more opportunities than others the easiest gift to give back to society is love and respect.

at first i let them to call me Ate but afterwards they taking advantages the kindness and acting more like a Madam to me then its No good so for me lesson learn, set boundaries and let them know you are they Madam and her employer but honestly i still treat them more like a family than an employee

Depends on the age of the helper. If she is very much younger, I would prefer her to call me ma'am. If she is roughly about the same age or older, I do not mind her calling me by name. Most of the times it is the maids who are uncomfortable addressing us by names! ;)

VIP Member

Our former helpers are older than me, so I prefer addressing me by my name. And even if the helper is a bit younger, I still prefer calling me by my name. I believe it creates a tighter bond and openness. It makes the helper feel accepted as a part of the family.

VIP Member

I actually prefer Ma'am. I feel that I am her employer after all. And I wanna exercise some power of autonomy over her. I know that we should treat our helpers as part of the family but I have had my bad experiences when we get too close to our helpers.

VIP Member

Most of them are comfortable addressing their employers by "Ma'am". Personally, I would like my helper to address me by name as I don't call my boss "Sir" but address him by name as well.

VIP Member

i don’t like to be called ma’am. she is 13 years older than me. feels weird if she calls me ma’am. besides, when we employed her, i was only 20. i feel very old if she calls me ma’am

VIP Member

I prefer Ma'am. Even though it sounds bossy but its better to keep the distance. However, just because she called me ma'am doesn't mean we can't bond. Everything back to our attitude.

Any of the options which she's more comfortable with, either call by name or address as sir/ma'am it really doesn't make any difference to me as long as she respects her work.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles