How do you care for your baby on your own?

Hi working mummies! Due to space constraints, I’m seriously considering taking care of my baby on my own till I go back to work. Currently we are staying at my in laws and we have a part time helper who does housework. I’m not expecting my in laws to help with taking care of baby. MIL & SIL work and FIL is not so mobile. May I check with mummies who managed to take care of your baby wo any confinement lady or helper for tips? I’m 3 months to my EDD now. Feeling the anxiety kicking in cos I’m really unsure how I can manage as a FTM. :( I’m wondering if I can just try my best to cope and when I go back to work, i can get a day care nanny to take care of my baby. Cos of the space constraints, I doubt a helper would be an option.

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

My husband helped me. I strongly recommend getting catered food during the first month because it’ll be very tiring snd your body is still recovering. I ordered from Richfood catering (Nouriche). It’s definitely not impossible to take care of your baby on your own. My advice would be to not be hard on yourself, especially when things are tough. Not enough breastmilk? Just top up with a little formula. Feeling sad about being cooped up at home? Just bring baby out of your house for a little walk. Really tired at night? Ask your husband for help. Having trouble breastfeeding/transitioning to bottle? There’re people who offer training and consultations for both. Essentially, do your best while setting realistic expectations for yourself, and don’t pressurise yourself to make everything perfect. I put too much pressure on myself to hit all my targets for my first child. Looking back, I feel a bit silly. Heh. My child grew up well, despite the difficulties I had, and the imperfections. Your baby will love you no matter what, so I hope you will find motherhood fulfilling and experience joy:)

Read more