How do you care for your baby on your own?

Hi working mummies! Due to space constraints, I’m seriously considering taking care of my baby on my own till I go back to work. Currently we are staying at my in laws and we have a part time helper who does housework. I’m not expecting my in laws to help with taking care of baby. MIL & SIL work and FIL is not so mobile. May I check with mummies who managed to take care of your baby wo any confinement lady or helper for tips? I’m 3 months to my EDD now. Feeling the anxiety kicking in cos I’m really unsure how I can manage as a FTM. :( I’m wondering if I can just try my best to cope and when I go back to work, i can get a day care nanny to take care of my baby. Cos of the space constraints, I doubt a helper would be an option.

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The first 2 weeks i received help mainly from my husband. All i did was to feed my lo milk. He’ll then take over from there so that i have sufficient rest to recover. Before he resume work, i learnt from him how to change diaper, burp the baby etc. From then its a mother instinct. We youtube whatever we dont know and learn from there. Be prepared and read up in advance so that you know what to expect. Never panic!

Read more
Super Mum

My mom was here for my confinement but my husband and i prefer to take care of baby on our own so we pretty much did everything ourselves. Got catered confinement meals from Tian Wei Signature. After confinement i took care of bubs alone during the day, husband helped at night after work. Now that I've returned to work, we sent bubs to infant care. FTM here too. It is possible, dont stress yourself too much!

Read more

took care of my confinement and baby myself, on top with house chores and all. staying with bf's brother so im basically taking care of extra people, which i dont mind haha manageable if you plan out your timr right. its tiring but fulfiling to raise your own baby without external help, IMO haha do ask from your husband for help bc not gonna lie, super tiring 😬 jiayous mummy take care 🥰

Read more

I feel that a confinement nanny/someone to full time look after newborn for 1st month is extremely impt. So that you can fully recuperate your body. After 1st month I singlehandedly look after my lo day & night on my own for the next 3 months as my husband is always out of town. I got a helper on my 5th month before I went back to work. Happy mummy = happy baby!

Read more
VIP Member

u can try to get come part time helper if possible and make your life bit easy. In case u don’t want to keep full time helper then I will highly recommend putting baby in day care so that atleast your baby can learn something and you can avoid screen time as much as possible. But do that only when baby has started eating solids.

Read more

Even I'm natural birth I still find it having a hard time to take care my lo my self during the confinement time. So my mum helped, after confinement I taking care all the way till today. I will send it to my mum place because I going back to work later on) : But now 3.40am I still feeding my LO. Awwww...

Read more

i’m staying with my mum & hubs. took care of baby on my own since day 1 & hubs will also do his part as much as he can, my mum doesn’t help out with the baby, only abit of housework that’s all

VIP Member

i take care of my baby alone.. and with the help of my husbans during his off day. but during confinement, hub took care of baby alone while cooking my confinement food

VIP Member

It really depends. I had csec and could hardly take care of myself for the 1st 2 weeks so the CL was a godsend. Mil n mum didnt help too.

VIP Member

Hi... my advise if for you to get help or nanny during your confinement. You need to rest and recover after giving birth.