How do you care for your baby on your own?

Hi working mummies! Due to space constraints, I’m seriously considering taking care of my baby on my own till I go back to work. Currently we are staying at my in laws and we have a part time helper who does housework. I’m not expecting my in laws to help with taking care of baby. MIL & SIL work and FIL is not so mobile. May I check with mummies who managed to take care of your baby wo any confinement lady or helper for tips? I’m 3 months to my EDD now. Feeling the anxiety kicking in cos I’m really unsure how I can manage as a FTM. :( I’m wondering if I can just try my best to cope and when I go back to work, i can get a day care nanny to take care of my baby. Cos of the space constraints, I doubt a helper would be an option.

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I didnt have a confinement nanny, but my mum stayed at my place during the first month, only on weekdays. So second month on, i singlehandedly care for my baby during the day, until my husband comes back from work in the evening, then i can take a short breather cus i dont want to tire him so much after a day's work. It is tough esp during the newborn period as everything was overwhelming, getting to learn about baby's needs, pumping, housechores, food, etc. I can share some tips with u but bear in mind that every baby is diff so this was some of the things which i did that kind of helped me. Be ahead of time as in wake up super early before baby is up for the day and get urself ready (shower, coffee etc). Have a rocker, playmat with soft toys where u can put baby down to entertain baby when need to. Swaddle baby during naptimes. I gave baby pacifier too esp when baby was really cranky and i needed my sanity. As i was exclusively pumping, i bought 2 sets of pump parts, i had a schedule for my pumping. Ahh so many, it was really tough, but as baby grows, it gradually gets better.

Read more