When do you allow your pre schooler to experience junk food?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is okay for preschoolers to have junk food once in a while as their body should get used to eating junk as well. Kids have very sensitive stomachs and they get adapted to the food habits that they follow. So if your child is only eating healthy food all the time, he would fall sick the moment he eats junk food. It is always better to maintain a balance. While am not saying that you should be giving junk food to your child every day, you can definitely give him a burger or a pizza say once in a month or two weeks. It's totally fine. Didn't we have them when we were kids?

Read more

As much as possible I wouldn't introduce junk food to pre schoolers. I would want my children to grow up on food that is nutritious and healthy, want them to get used to eating vegetables without bribing or forcing them to eat it and that can only happen if junk food is not at all in the food plan. But of course we can't really avoid them eating it, especially when we're not with them. However, if you must, let them eat it only on special occasions.

Read more

It all starts with their perception of what 'junk food' is. It's usually some sort of indulgence but kids can be trained early on to only crave what's good for them. Fortunately for parents these days, however, there are a lot of yummy healthy snacks to choose from. Some you can even make at home! Try this recipe: Healthy choco energy bites! http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Healthy-No-Bake-Chocolate-Energy-Bites-1556958?columns=3&position=4%2F52

Read more

I have been offering my preschooler 'junk food' but in a very small quantity. The purpose is really just to let her experience the different taste and texture of food. However this may varies depending on individual parenting but I do not see harm in doing it if it's under controlled.

I think giving your pre schooler junk food is fine, but it should be a rare thing. It shouldn't be given liberally or frequently. The type of junk food also matters nothing overly sweet like sugar coated candies. Biscuits are fine.

Most of my friends with toddlers will just feed their children whatever they are eating. So if daddy and mummy are eating junk food, the child gets some too. The earliest we've heard so far was 14 months if I'm not wrong. ;)

I junk so i let it slide. He comes home with goody bags too. I can't take that away from him.

Never. They can experience it when they're a lot older.

I hate junk, but i cant control much. So i let it go.