How does the epidural work?

What’s the exact science and how does it feel?

How does the epidural work?
9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

An epidural is a procedure that injects a local anaesthetic in to the space around the spinal nerves in your lower back. This anaesthetic usually blocks the pain from labour contractions and during the birth very effectively. With an epidural you can usually move and can push your baby out when you need to.

Read more
Super Mum

It's anaesthesia that's injected directly to your spine to numb the lower part of your body. You won't be able to move your leg or feel anything and the effect is pretty much immediate. It's quite funny because I kept trying to wiggle my toes but it just feels like my legs are not there 😅

VIP Member

Anesthesia directly into ur spinal cord, so the bottom half of your body is painless, but you still remain conscious

TapFluencer

A good anaesthetist is very important! I don't feel anything at all when epidural was injected.

Can YouTube to find out on epidural works. To me it doesn’t really hurts at all. Around 1/10?

VIP Member

It has advantages and disadvantages such as the side effect.

It’s literally happydural. Best invention ever!

VIP Member

Best ever.. for happy delivery

My ex colleague did epidural because cannot bear the pain too much, so she doesn't feel pain when delivered. But I heard that during the long run when you're aging til 40-50++,it's gonna give you bad side effects on your spinal area.