If I know I'm pregnant now (1month), how long do I need to inform the company? What if they terminate me? :(

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Other mummies have mentioned. They can't terminate you. For me and my friends, usually our direct superior will be the ones to know before our other friends. The reason is because we tend to feel unwell during our first trimester be it dizzy spells, fatigue or inability to focus. That is the most important period to request for their support and understanding. I guess most employers and superiors are acceptable of pregnancies in the company and I also think that they appreciate you giving ample notice so that they can make arrangements for someone to cover your duties.

Read more

You will need to inform them within the 20 weeks into the pregnancy so they could plan someone to take over your duties when you are away on maternity leave. If in your job for more than 3 months, you are protected under maternity protection. In any case of them terminating you without valid reason, they will still have to pay you the maternity benefits. http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/maternity-leave/do-i-need-to-inform-my-employer-of-my-pregnancy-in-advance http://www.mom.gov.sg/faq/maternity-leave/i-ve-been-dismissed-from-my-job-during-pregnancy-what-can-i-do

Read more
Expert

Are u in the company for more than 3 months? If you meet the criteria to enjoy maternity leave, MOM regulations will protect you from unneccessary termination. For me, I told my immediate boss about my pregnancy when I cross my first trimester. I think it depends on how comfortable you are with your boss.

Read more
VIP Member

Congrats!! If you have been with the company for over 6 months before finding out you were pregnant, they can't terminate you. I would advice to let them know as soon as possible so it's easier on you (no need to hide) and the company has ample time to find a substitute while you are on maternity leave.

Read more
VIP Member

It's not something that you will be able to hide for long. A good employer would be supportive of its staff as well. Like Melissa mentioned, if you have been in the job for 3 months at least, even if they terminate you, they are liable to pay you maternity benefits.

You can inform as soon as possible so the company can make arrangement for people to cover your duty during your maternity leave. Your company can't terminate you based on the reason of being pregnant. If they do, you can file a report with Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

VIP Member

Congrats. Dun need to worry as long u pass the company 3months probation even u are contract or as perm u will entitle maternity leave. Pass 1st trimester then inform ur bosses.

VIP Member

Pregnant employees have certain maternity protections during this period so not to worry...Take care!

thanks