I just found out that I am pregnant, and I'm planning to visit my gynecologist soon. What questions should I make sure to ask her?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

there are a lot of things you should ask: 1. what tests to be done by you and your partner 2. what all you can and cannot eat 3. are you allowed to travel, if no, till when? if yes, any things you need to keep in mind? 4. what all family medical history should you check for? 5. mention if you are already on any medication 6. what medicines should you not take, especially if you are prone to migraine, acidity, cold and so on 7. who can you contact in case of an emergency if your doc is not available 8. how much weight will you ideally gain and in how much time 9. what all supplements should you take now 10. what kinds of exercise can you do 11. what should you not do in your regular routine 12. can you have sex, if not, till when 13. do you need to take any powders with your milk 14. mention any allergies or food restrictions you have and what to do about it 15. how often should you visit the doc 16. what are the warning signs you should look out for to call the doc

Read more

There are many questions you can ask your gynae in your first appointment. Here's sharing what I asked! Hope this list helps. How much weight should I gain, and at what rate? Do I have an increased risk of any specific complications or conditions? What screenings do I need? What kind of diet should I follow? What should I eat and drink a lot of, and what should I avoid? Should I be doing any particular kind of exercise? What kind and amount is safe? Are there any restrictions on sex throughout my pregnancy? Are there any restrictions I need to know about traveling while pregnant? What over-the-counter medications are safe, and in what amount? Are there any I should avoid? Are the prescription medications I’m currently taking safe? If not, what can I take or do instead? Which prenatal vitamin do you recommend? What symptoms should I expect, and how can I manage them? What’s normal, and what should I call you about?

Read more

There are many things that you should ask your gynae at your first appointment. It is ideal if you put your questions into two buckets: the first about all the dos and font's and the second about any personal concerns that are specific to you. I would start by asking her about: 1. What prenatal vitamins/supplements you should begin taking. 2. Nutritional needs that you need to take care of and what dietary changes you need to make. 3. What weight gain you should expect and at what rate. 4. What tests are to be expected over the course of your pregnancy. 5. Discuss any upcoming travel plans. 6. Ask her what she thinks about a C-section if you plan to have one. It is always good to know that your doctor and you are aligned.

Read more

First and foremost ask for a list of tests that you need to undergo to ensure that everything is fine with you and you are not suffering from a deficiency. Also ask about the foods and supplements that you must take in order to have a healthy baby. Also ask about the exercises that you can do to maintain your weight. This is very important

Read more

I would ask about nutrition first. What nutritional needs would you have to meet, what would you need to change etc. Also what is a healthy weight-gain to be expected. Then of course foods you can and cannot eat. I would also ask the doctor to explain more in detail about the first scan.

Read more
VIP Member

Actually, the first visit will be quite standard. She will do an ultrasound scan to confirm the presence of the fetus, heartbeat and sac. After that, she will prescribe some folic acid tablets and multi vitamins, if you haven't already been taking them.

Ask her about the things you can and cannot eat/do. If you have travel plans within the year, make sure to run these by her as well.

thanks