TCM during Pregnancy

I have been consuming tcm meds daily for 3 months when trying to conceive and i found out i was pregnant, at 4W6D today. Went back to my TCM and she prescribed tcm meds (for my constipation & 安胎药) for a week and was told to return next week. Wanted to ask other mummies here, should I continue with the TCM or stop soon? Not sure if it's safe but my practitioner seems experienced. I'm just worried and maybe paranoid. The meds she gave me are solutions made from powder so I'm not sure what herbs were used too.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I continued my TCM medicine after pregnant. Initially was quite concerned if shld continue but now I’m in wk 18 and still drinks. Drink two days and rest two days- mine is the boil yourself type and also dunno the content. Think need to trust ur doc if u want to continue. During my worst nauseous period , I also vomit after drinking e medicine. But another trick I think is to make sure the food is digest before drinking the medicine cos our digestive system slows down that period plus e bitter medicine sight n smell will makes u vomit after drink. That’s my experience. Hope all well for you :)

Read more

I was also visiting TCM to 調 my body to be ready for pregnancy and upon finding out I’m pregnant at 5weeks, I kinda stop taking all TCM related medicine as I’m afraid it might interfere with the western meds that will be prescribed by Gynae.

I continued with my tcm treatment till end trim 1/early trim2 to "tiao" my body. I did take meds to help me "an tai" and sleep better. I followed my tcm for nearly a decade so I trusted her.

I actually continue my tcm until I can't take their medication and kept throwing up.. if you feel to stop just stop, it's OK..

I was on still on tcm throughout trim 1, to 安胎, felt it was necessary. Trim 2 onwards I’ve stopped.

i continued tcm until i see my gynae. after that i only take the prenatal supplements prescribed by my gynae

My tcm sinseh actually stop prescribing me anything or ask me to do any tcm once I was pregnant.

if you don’t feel good, don’t continue.. trust your gut

no herbs at all during pregnancy