Any tips and advise for preparation before 1st day of pre-school? How to get my child mentally prepared? Should I accompany my child for a couple of days for an hour or so to observe the other children in the playgroup? And also she can get acquainted with the environment before the first day. Some childcare allow 1 full day where mummy can stay with child in the center but I m afraid the child may assume that the mum should be around all e time in the playgroup this might not be good to train her independence.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If you have a lot of time before that, let your child be involved with the preparation for school! Shopping together, letting him/her choose the things for school ... Having more fun together before going to school too :) You can also do simple schedules or just verbal reminders of what school will be like, and what he/she can expect from school. As for accompanying your child, I do what Jorelle did - my son's childcare actually allows parents to stay with them the first 3 days, but I only stayed with my son the first day. It was mainly to observe the classes and the teachers, and also to have a "mental presence" there that this is what his mother looks like :) First day, I accompanied my son and he was really clingy and did not take part in anything. He still ate well but we left before nap time because he just couldn't settle down well! Second day, I was prepared to do the same but the principal told me to leave him to the teachers to build a rapport and for me to take breakfast. I left my son crying, and I cried on my way to breakfast too - I expected a call to pick him up because I didn't think he would be able to sleep there, but the principal updated me with photos of his activities and he actually took a nap! Fast forward, he took about 2-3 weeks to get used to school - it's been 2 months now and he loves school!

Read more
VIP Member

My experience is, my girl went inside and start playing on her own, hence teacher suggest that i wait outside, as it's 1/2 day for her during the 1st day. She adapt well for 1st week. 1st day, 1/2 day. 2nd day, also 1/2 day. 3rd day, teacher try to let her nap, but she don't nap, hence i pick her home. 4th day, teacher manage to let her nap. Hence it's a successful week. It's work out well on 1st week. 2nd week onwards, cry after she reach school. Teacher took awhile to coax her and i have to sneak out. Till now, my gmil send her to school, she never cry, but i send she will cry.. But she do enjoy the school though, guess it's really depend on the kids itself. My friend have the same situation as me too, other people send the kid to school is ok, but not her.

Read more
8y ago

Haha ic. Thks for sharing :)

VIP Member

I read books and tell them all about school. during first day, i would stay to observe the whole situation and also to understand the school better. second day, i would drop by kid and say a good bye. Don't sneak away. Yes baby will cry. but it will stop after awhile. Say a time u be back and stick to that time. When you fetch baby, they will be in tears after all the emotion buildup.Give a big smile and big help!

Read more

U need to inform yr child as a basic form of respect. They may be very young and i think they don't understand but pls don't underestimate them, they will know it. Treat them like little adults so that it would be easier for you in future too. Usually childcare 1st 3 days are half days and you need to educate yr child. You can stay with them only for the 1st 3 days only.

Read more
8y ago

Np. I have 4 kids and all r from infant care

I talked to my son long before he started school, showing him classes and songs. Things related to school.