Do you think giving kids sweets as a reward kung magStop sila mag-tantrum is an effective way to discipline them? Or does it count as spoiling them?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I do give rewards, pero not until na makita ko talagang nagbehave na sya, so may delay ang pagbigay ko, like for example bago sya matulog. And first, sasabihin ko, im happy na nagbehave sya, nagobey kaay Mama that's why Im giving it to him. Pero hindi pa nya iyon kakain, syempre sasabihin ko tomrow pa pwede kainin kase sweets un. Para the next day, behave pa rin. Then, ipaintindi rin na why you are correcting him is bcoz you want him to grow to become a good man, and you love him.

Magbasa pa

If you use it as a reward, I guess it's totally fine. Rewarding is different from bribing. And yes, I agree that whenever you give a reward, it should be clear to them that they're getting something because they are doing something good. It's just like giving a star when they do good in school. You don't do it too often siguro para they would still get excited if there's really a need for you to do that pag medyo excessive na ang tantrums.

Magbasa pa

For me its a no..no.. kz its still sweet.. Chances for diabetes ay matataas. Lalo lang sila magta tantrums kasi iisipin nila na that they will get a sweet, lagi na lang sila magtatantrums kz they know that you will give them a reward and no punisment. You are spoiling na your kids if you will do this, eto talaga ang mahirap na job to become a parents. especially pagdating sa pagdidisplina.

Magbasa pa
VIP Member

It depends on the number of instances ng pagbibigay mo ng sweets as a reward. And yes, big part din yung if you are explaining why you are giving them the reward, kasi if not, it might send a different signal to them and they may count it as if they can just throw tantrums anytime in order to get what they want and in that instance, the sweets.

Magbasa pa

Parang hindi naman siguro, pero kasi depende sa kung gaano kadalas ginagamit ang candy pang reward. Agree ako with Luz sa parte na kailangan ipaliwanag sa bata kung anong nangyayari, at kung bakit mo siya bibigyan ng candy bilang reward :)

If it will always be the way to discipline a child then it is not right to reward sweets. There are many ways to discipline them like teaching them to recognize "no" and letting them self soothe during a tantrum. .

VIP Member

Hindi naman siguro. Kasi for me spoiling means giving in to what they like. So specific likes yun if ever. Since you just reward sweets, you could simply mean you just want to tame them. My opinion lang ha. :D

For me, mas mabuti na iexplain sa bata kung bakit hindi maganda yung nagtatantrum sila. Kapag nagbigay kasi tayo ng sweets or any reward tapos walang explanation, hindi din maicocorrect yung bata.

I've read from one parenting site that giving too much reward will give a negative feedback to the kid when he gets old. He'll get frustrated so easily if he doesn't achieve what he wants.