12 Replies

Super Mum

2.5 month olds shouldn’t have any screen time at all. Really. At this age, they don’t learn that way. People need to be talking and singing to baby, and letting baby do tummy time, feel different textures (from toys). Water is also dangerous for a 2.5 month old baby. The gut is not developed well enough to take that. Every doctor and parenting website will tell you not to give water below 6 months of age. If you want a 3rd/4th/5th opinion, get them from credible sources. I know it’s important to have personal time and dates with your spouse, but if baby’s not in good hands (pardon the harshness), then it’s better to just bring baby along for now. Also, if you’re going back to work soon, and you or your husband cannot get your MIL to change her methods of caring for your baby, perhaps seriously consider infant care? It would be so sad if something serious happens to baby, whether it’s severe myopia, delayed mental/physica development, malnutrition, or even needing to go to hospital because of severe diarrhoea and other effects of giving water.

VIP Member

If you want mil wants to assist with his learning through nursery rhymes maybe get her a book and read to him. She can interact with him and learn from him too. Drinking water (with honey) is actually what our parents use to do with us when we were young. My mum had the same thoughts till i brought her to the PD with me and my PD who is much older knew where my mum came from as she use to suggest too long ago but now with more r&d it is advised not to give water till after 6months.

Super Mum

No screen time for auch a young baby - WHO recommends children under 18mo get no screen time. You are right about no water for babies under 6mo too. I guess we just have to be firm and tell our parents about all these practices and knowledge that are 'new' to them. Not easy! I've quarrelled with my mom over such things thousands of times..during confinement.. how depressing!

2.5mths watching for 2 hours straight is abit extreme, and water at such young age? I think you need to be more firm to your MIL, it’s your child after all. If you don’t protect him, who will? If your parents are free, can considering letting them take care of your baby instead. Your opinion will be heard to them clearer than your MIL (what I feel lah).

VIP Member

You shouldn't be placing your baby under ur MIL care if she is allowing screen time for your 2.5mths baby. If she dont want baby 'gong gong' lie there, ask her to talk and play with her and not show youtube video.

TapFluencer

What your mil did is wrong, is too young to watch youtube!! I won't let them touch my baby if that's the case. I will bring my baby along wherever I go. Consider send your baby to infant care after your ML.

Super Mum

Oh my... I wouldn't let my baby watch YouTube. Bad for the eyes and brain. Maybe you can Google some info online and show her. There are many articles on it.

No screen time is recommended for babies below 2 years, as advised by WHO.

Let ur hubby talk to her. She shld be educated by ur hubby

VIP Member

Just listen instead of watch

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles