Mastitis?

It started yesterday with a clogged duct on left breast which I can't seem to remove with pumping. Then evening time I developed a fever with chills. Took panadol and fever subsided but breast still pain. Today feel much better just low grade fever but it is now like generalised pain over one area of my left breast which feels painful to the slightest touch and feels hotter as well. I can't even carry my baby properly as it hurts when put her near my breast. There is a small area near nipple which is red but my breasts are soft and not rock hard. Is this mastitis and will it go away on its own? Do I need see a doc and which doc to go? GP?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Oh dear I've had mastitis many times before so I can feel your pain, it really sucks 😞. But luckily since you say the breast is soft no longer rock hard means the worst is over. The milk is no longer blocked inside but the infection is still there, that's why you still feel pain. You can cold compress it to ease the pain and I know latching baby will be super painful but it's best if you can keep on latching since baby can effectively remove whatever blockage is still there. The infection will go away on its own but it will take some time, if you go to gp they will give antibiotics to clear it faster but it's not necessary. Hope you recover soon!

Read more

I go back to see my gynae.. was prescribed with antibiotics which is safe for breastfeeding after checking with the lactation consultant.. I suggest you to see a doc for faster recovery.. The lactation consultant also teach me to massage my breast before pump and every 5mins of the pump session, massage again then pump.. don't one shot, fully pumping only..

Read more
VIP Member

Hi dear, it happened to me every 2-3mos. I only take paracetamol and had massage to ease body pain. After 2 days I'm back to normal. You can consult doctor if you still not feeling well and getting worse after 2-3 days maybe.

TapFluencer

Hi mummy try to massage and clear your boobs as much as possible. Mastitis will be swelling and painful. Use hot compress and hand compress while pumping.

Oh dear... i've nvr had mastitis before, but what you described could be it. Please see the doc asap!

Thanks mummies for your advice! Today much better already will see GP if it gets worse.

VIP Member

I usually put warm towel on my breast, do hot showers and latch baby more often.

Super Mum

See doctor and lactation consultant