Sometimes my five year old little girl asks me too many questions and I don’t know how to answer them. How do I evade them?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When my five-year-old daughter bombards me with questions, I understand how overwhelming it can feel, especially when I don't have all the answers. While I want to encourage her curiosity, there are times when I need to redirect the conversation without shutting her down. One strategy I use is to acknowledge her question and let her know that it's a great one, but that I need some time to think about the answer. I might say something like, "That's a really interesting question! Let me think about it for a bit, and I'll get back to you later." This gives me a chance to gather my thoughts or look up information if needed. Another approach is to turn the question back to her, encouraging her to think critically and come up with her own ideas. For example, I might say, "What do you think about that?" or "How do you think that works?" This not only helps her develop problem-solving skills but also gives me a breather from providing immediate answers. If the questions become too overwhelming or if I'm in a rush, I might gently explain that I'm not able to answer all her questions right now but that we can discuss them later when we have more time. Setting boundaries around question time can help manage the flow of inquiries while still honoring her curiosity. Overall, finding a balance between encouraging curiosity and setting limits is key. By being patient, redirecting when necessary, and fostering her own ability to explore answers, I can navigate those moments when the questions seem endless.

Read more

As a parent, it's indeed challenging when your child bombards you with an endless stream of questions, especially when you're not sure how to answer them. It's essential, though, to encourage their curiosity as it is a significant factor in their learning and development process. However, when you're feeling overwhelmed, it might be a good idea to divert their attention to interactive educational platforms. One such platform could be online educational games suitable for their age. For example, check out this link https://sweet-bonanza.nz/how-to-strat/ for games that are not only entertaining but also stimulate their curiosity. They'll have fun while also learning new things, giving you some much-needed breathing room. Remember, it's okay not to have all the answers. Instead, use these moments as opportunities to explore and learn together with your child.

Read more

Dear Daddy, I can understand your frustration when kids keep asking question, especially you could be having adult problems. After answering the easy questions, you can share with your child that you need to research on it and take out a notebook to note down the question. later when you have a clear mind.. you can research on it and answer him. Your child will appreciate and learn a new skill to handle future life situation when he/she face with peers that are too buggy. Of course if your child is old enough, teach your child how to find answers themselves ;) Please note that a lot of times children ask questions to seek attention, hence is good to answer a few of them first so they don't feel ignored.

Read more

don't evade the questions :) i know it can be so draining sometimes to keep answering each and every question the entire day, all days of the week. but the fact is that at this age, you are the main person your kid will turn to for all types of information. try and answer as many as you can. when you are truly tired and need a break, lie down for a while and tell your kid that mommy is tired and is taking a quick nap, after which she will come back with all the answers. tell your kid to remember as many questions as possible, because once super mamma is back from her rest, she will answer them all :)

Read more

Trying to evade based on the fact that you do not know the answer or you find the tons of questions irritating you? Sometimes i am just very honest to my children, telling them i am really tired, can you ask me when i am feeling better? Or U can suggest self exploration if it is not due to irritation, saying, "Daddy is not so sure too, shall we find out together?".. or "daddy may know more than you but not know everything too, let's see what we can explore together!" .. sometimes ego has to be done away while we are with kids. Even so, easier said than done 😂

Read more

You should be happy that your child asks a lot of questions. This shows their curious mind is growing and more aware of the surrounding. If you do not know how to answer it, for me, I have a notebook for my 6 years old daughter to note down her questions that I can't answer immediately. Within a week, I will try to search for the answer and think of how to present to her, either through science experiments or information book from library. For eg. she asked me why the moon keeps on following her and I need sometimes to figure out through own research.

Read more
VIP Member

Why would you want to evade her questions? If you don't know how to answer them, try searching for the answer together with her. Both of you will learn something in the process. If her questions don't make sense and are plain annoying which makes you want to evade them, you could reply her with "Well, then why don't you find out yourself?" and throw her an encyclopedia. Maybe you need this book. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/asapscience-mitchell-moffit/1119886097

Read more
Post reply image

It's natural for kids to be asking why. Why this why that. My daughter is now 7 years old and still asks me why why why. Personally I don't mind because it's like bonding time for me & her and she gets to learn a little bit more. Because she asks a lot, she's much more aware and will go "Mama!!!!! That's the thing we talk about right???" It's cute. Looking forward to her brother talking. It'd be fun because he'll start asking his sister why, why and why.

Read more

no, please don't evade the questions. unless you answer all those questions, how is your child supposed to learn about the world? unlike what we feel, most of the learning that our children get is not from school books, but from the conversations they have with us, parents, and from the observations they make. so please encourage your child to ask more and learn more by answering those questions in an age appropriate way :)

Read more

it can be so difficult to answer all those millions of questions, but i would say try not to evade. whatever she asks, try and give her some answer, which is age appropriate and will give her some idea of what she was originally looking for.