My five-year-old just asked me- Mummy , can two girls marry each other? How am I supposed to respond to this question?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my kid has also asked me the same, and she asked me this about a man and man, as well as a woman and woman scenario. to be honest, i was very truthful to her about the entire LGQBT thing. as your kid is 5, you can explain that getting married is all about being with someone you have a lot of fun with, such as a really good friend. that you have to love that person and care for that person and that person can do the same for you as well. once your kid is a little older, say around 8ish, you can explain about other gender preferences as well, such as transvestites, queers and such. i have already explained the same to my 9 year old, and it helps to make them emotionally more sensible and open and be loving and caring humans overall.

Read more
7y ago

you can explain that getting married is all about being with someone you have a lot of fun with, such as a really good friend. that you have to love that person and care for that person and that person can do the same for you as well. -> Not sure what you going to say when your kids get friendzone in the future =x

i think you should answer this with an open mind and heart. instead of focusing much on the gender, i suggest you tell her that a grown up can marry any person that he or she truly loves and wants to be with. it can be a man and a woman, a man and a man and even a woman and a woman. in the end, it is important to spend together time with a nice and kind person who you are happy with, and who you are good friends with :)

Read more
8y ago

thank you so much dear :) I have also explained the same to my elder one when she was about 6, so it was a personal thing :)

I like this simple clarification "My kids have known about gay relationships pretty much since they've known about straight ones. People fall in love, some people fall in love with people who are of the same sex, sometimes they don't. Simple as that. What they have a really hard time understanding is why some people are so mean to other people just because they want to be in love."

Read more

Tell the truth. Explain to her the nature of man and women and in this case mum and dad. Many times in Singapore i notice parents tend to overly baby talk. That is not healthy. We should always tell the truth no matter if its an object, person or even situation. It may see trivial to us or a joke but not to their tiny winey simple minds.

Read more

Just to add, SG society is not ready for LGBT yet but if you wish to change the future, try to let them know is normal and most importantly we shouldn't criticize other people's life choices. Hopefully during their generation things will change.