My 5-year-old girl is not fond of my brother's 13-year-old daughter. She was born in front of me and I was with her during her growing up years, and my best niece. How do I help bond them?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I guess your daughter can see the love you have for your niece and is jealous...this is quite common, and even real siblings face the same....my kids for example !!!! huh !!!! I'd suggest don't push it. and, don't make it too obvious. of course some things you should keep in mind are that whenever you get something for one of the girls, get another similar age-appropriate thing for the other one too. Also, you may be talking to your niece about many different things as she is older in age, and this could irk your daughter. make sure you spend quality time with her, and sometimes, without making it too obvious or making it a forced thing, take them out together for a movie, or a trip to the bookstore, or maybe even accessory shopping...girls love such things and for all you know, your daughter may actually like it

Read more

As both of them are girls, there must be some common ground that you can leverage so both of them can get along? Maybe a favourite movie, a favourite ice cream flavour? If your niece has some clothes or toys from her younger days, you can suggest that she presents them to your daughter. Sharing clothes and toys are not only common to siblings, cousins do so as well. Perhaps this will start a bond of sorts between the two. You can also plan more activities where the two can find more opportunities to spend time together -- shopping, movies, babysitting :)

Read more

The age difference is actually quite big. They belong to different age groups. Any particular reason that she is not found of her cousin? Don't try too hard to help them bond. You are attached to your niece doesn't mean that your daughter should be equally attached to her. Might be your fondness for her makes her jealous! Keep a track of your own behavior. Also talk to your daughter and tell her that Didi loves her and is elder sister with whom she can share things. Take them both for an outing.

Read more

True...your daughter might be harbouring some jealousy towards her cousin. Afterall you are her mother and if you are overly affectionate towards your niece in front your daughter she will not like it. No matter how close your niece is to you. Try not to force a bond between the two...they will develop their own bond in time.

Read more

don't force your daughter to like her but gently create situations that will naturally help them bond. i guess your daughter senses your fondness for the niece and is jealous. maybe you could take them out for a movie together, or shopping, ask your niece to help your daughter with some fun shopping tips :)

Read more
TapFluencer

You have to let this relationship blossom without forcing the issue. Maybe find a common area of interest and take them out together to bond, ie amusement park, shopping, movies etc