Is it safe to use soothers or pacifiers?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No, It doesn't affect baby's throat in anyway. All that happens is that baby becomes dependent on the pacifier and would not like to get away with it. Yes, they might cause ear infections in the babies but if you keep them clean and limit the time of using it, this risk also goes away. Infant they lower the risk of SIDS. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/features/using-pacifiers#1 http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/pacifiers/art-20048140

Read more

its not about being safe or unsafe, but the problem is that babies get overly attached to it. also, there is the issue of germs, which can affect babies when something is constantly kept in the mouth, and also if baby takes it out and touches it to a dirty surface and then puts it back in the mouth again. i never used one for both my kids and trust me, have never faced any problem of not using a pacifier.

Read more

see it is not good for your baby's oral health and there is always the risk that your baby will get attached to it, and then you will have to try the entire process of weaning off the pacifier! additionally, they also become sources of germs and can surely affect the throat too. i did not use it for either of my kids and there has never been a problem

Read more

Hi Yes, they are safe the only inhibition that generally parents have regarding them is that the baby will become used to it and it becomes difficult to wean him off. But I think that even that too is not a big deal as when babies can wean off breastmilk they can definitely leave pacifiers as well.

Read more
7y ago

Smone is saying tht it effect baby's throat

Yes it's safe. Not to worry it definitely won't affect their throat. Only downside for me would be because they may be overly attached and reliant on the object.

VIP Member

It won't affect the throat. The only issue it may affect due to constant using would be their teeth, It will tend to protrude out more.