Nowadays do you all follow the confinement rules? No bathing for a month? No washing hair? No aircon?

93 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I do follow some of the rules but not strictly. I bathed and washed my hair with the herbal packs available at most traditional medical hall. I on aircon as well, the weather is too hot to bear and my baby developed heat rash so we just on the aircon as an excuse. I drank plain water secretly. If not I would have been dehydrated! I try not to touch too much water other than when going to the washroom or washing of baby bottles. I did not on the fan though as they say that the wind will enter our body. It is up to personal preference as to if you are comfortable to follow them or not. Mostly all these rules are old wives tales. There are lots of people not following but still live well! (Totally an excuse I tell myself when I want to skip some of the rules!)

Read more

I bath everyday twice and at least every alternate day washing my hair(not because of the rules, i was just plain tired. I did not have aircon, but had 2 fans on and rotating. Its very hot, and confinement food makes us sweat alot. And that swear stinks, prolly because of the herbal stuffs. Most important is to be healthy, clean and hygienic. No one wants to have infection or worse! Though i had to i have to admit, i didnt bath during my entire hospital stay. Because i had csect, its painful for me to move around. And i kept imagining i might fall or whatever. So i waited to get home brought a stool in slowly sat there and bathe. And the first thing i did when i reach home, was take my home clothes(shorts and spaghetti) and chiong go bath!!!!!!!!!

Read more
VIP Member

Just remember, if you feel itchy and dirty and uncomfortable go bath before the itch got worst that you need to admit hospital than it's more worst instead. Air-con is cooling air not wind, why not? Anyway, the hospital is full of air-con too. I bath it after massage but that is next day Morning, during the sun hottest time about 7-8am +. As the oil make me feel uncomfortable. I wash hair only after 2 weeks, wash maybe 1 a week. As it's not easily dry, best not to get wet too long. Depend how you think, and how good your body is and able to take it. I have friend, wash hand only, her hands cramp badly during last 1-2 weeks. So i have the agar agar confinement.

Read more

For #1 , my MIL wants me to follow strictly , so as to make my immunity stronger . I didn't bath for 2 weeks , wear long sleeves top , pant & a beanie , no air-con . After 2 weeks , bath thrice a week with warm water + herbs during the hottest time of the day , 12pm - 1pm . I was suffering . But after confinement , I do find that my body become stronger , not easy to fall sick compared to previously . For #2 , my MIL didn't ask me to follow strictly . She allows me to bath everyday with warm water + herbs & air-con too . My body remains strong . I'm not sure is it because of the strict confinement that I've been through .

Read more

I confinement by myself when I born my 3rd child. Because my mum suddenly can't help me.So luckily I know how to do. I bath ginger warm water for first 2 wks,warm water wash my hair once a wk.After 2 wks later,I bath with warm water.Use a thin and long towel cover my head for 1 mth.Wear slipper at home.Night time air con and drink DOM every night.Cook every dish with ginger.I can see my body condition better than before. For those who not follow,might be easy to hv hand,leg,back or somewhere paint few yrs later.Cant blame anyone...Just suffer 1 mth,is ok for me.

Read more

I didn't bath for the 1st three days post-delivery. After discharged from hospital, I washed my hair and body using boiled confinement herbs (Da Feng Ai), as it is believed that it helps in expel the tummy wind compared to plain tap water. I feel maintain a good hygiene and sanity during confinement is very important as I direct latch my baby all the times. Also, after taking confinement food and soups, I perspire a lot and cause a lot of discomfort. Thus, I choose to take bath every alternate days.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

Follow tcm method and don't listen to myths. Not bathing & washing hair is a myth, doesn't apply to SG (it applied to olden days in China where it's cold and people bathed in poor insulated rooms). In SG even stepping out of the bathroom is already warm lol. Immediately blow dry hair and it's ok. Tcm also say must bathe & wash hair for basic hygiene. Other tcm like diet, drinking red date tea, resting, i followed. Body is strong still, and my menses is now more manageable too.

Read more
4y ago

hi! did you drink only red dates tea? or drank water too?

Wiped down every day with herbal bath water, but used warm water to wash vaginal wound. Did not wash hair for 2 weeks straight, then washed once every 5 days until confinment ended. Impt to blow dry immediately! Was advised not to use fan so i was in air conditioned room as much as possible without it facing directly at me. Drank red date tea, lactation tea, and herbal tonic everyday. Completely avoided cold items too (even tho i was craving a cup a bbt so badly!)

Read more

I bathed and washed my hair once I'm allowed to get outta of the bed in the hospital after delivery. I bathed and washed my hair daily at home. I stay in aircon room whole day. no bathing nor washing hair is for those living in cold country and no hot water available (olden times in China), this saying cannot work in Singapore coz the weather is too hot and humid and that say we need to have good personal hygiene especially when taking care of a newborn.

Read more
VIP Member

Nope..weather in Singapore is super hot. I stay in aircon room most of the time. To me maintaining a good hygiene and sanity during confinement is my top priority since I'm breastfeeding my baby. When I discharged from hospital I already bathed and washed my hair using lemongrass herbal wash and shampoo. I also used the chinese herbs to wash off. But you gona quickly washed up and dried up. Dry your hair conpletely. Rmb to hydrate and eat well too.

Read more