I shared a little post on facebook about how an SMRT staff brightened up my boy's day and was pleasantly surprised that it got much acknowledgement from Singaporeans. (http://bit.ly/1Wu72KY) I feel that it's important that we teach our children about our unsung heroes in our community. How do you think we can teach our children about appreciating these group of special people? :)

Post image
14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is great - thanks for sharing! Viral indeed :) I would like to share a story about an unsung hero in my mind - my uncle. He is a staunch Sikh and does charity work in the community - from cleaning the temples, to counselling drug addicts in prison, and is involved in almost every Sikh funeral there is in Singapore. He will be the first one there, helping to wash the deceased person's body (and this isn't an easy feat, especially for someone you may not even know!)... he offers help to anyone who he hears needs help. Such a selfless person, with a heart of gold and steel - he is definitely one in a million. He has inspired me, being a father figure to me & I wish that my sons grow up to be just like him. We need more people like this in the world and just being around him gives me the positive vibe. Here's to more unsung heroes- let's thrive to be one of them, and teach our children to aim to be that too!

Read more
VIP Member

This is such an amazing initiative! Thanks for setting it up. I want to share the story of interviewing Tin Pei Ling while she was doing the GE rounds. I had the rare opportunity to meet her about 6-7 weeks after she had given birth, and was back on the campaign trail to participate in the GE. She was poised, articulate, passionate and she put on a brave front even though it must have been killing her to be back at work so soon after giving birth. There was a point where she had to hold back tears (we asked her questions about her daughter at that point) While I was definitely impressed with the fact that she was back on her feet so soon after delivery, I appreciate it even more now, that I am a new mum, who is barely two months post partum myself. #respect #Strengthofawoman #ironlady

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I think it all starts from the smallest things - saying "Thank you" or returning their greetings. As parents, we are role models for our children. If we don't do it ourselves, we cannot expect our children to be polite and grateful. Personally, I have a special bus driver whom I made friends with ever since he waited for me to catch the bus one morning. I've always looked forward to catching his bus and have given him bottles of chicken essence, lemon sweets and other small tidbits as I know his day is long. I've also noticed the friendly, chirpy lady at Raffles Place MRT who greets commuters good morning. Children pick up really fast and it all begins with us. :)

Read more

Start by being a good example to your kids, since children naturally look up to their parents and elders. If you have a maid in the house, make it a point to thank them for their efforts, big or small. Acknowledge the work of people in the service industry as well by telling them they're doing a fantastic job. Being polite and respectful to people who you consider "below" you sets up a fantastic example too. “You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”—Malcolm S. Forbes.

Read more

At home, simple gesture like thank you to us, their grandparents is a good start. In US, there are special projects in their history to know about the unsung heroes. Perhaps this can be part of SG education system. I read about this little girl that wrote to Mr Obama. It is a good example for our little ones to think like her on how to appreciate our unsung heroes. :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3551940/Celebrated-former-slave-Harriet-Tubman-woman-currency-century-thanks-11-year-old-girl-s-letter-Obama.html

Read more

I saw your post. Thank you for sharing this. It really brightened up my day and we need more people like you. :) Just wanted to share this as well. We have this old chinese uncle who helps to clean my block everyday. He will whistle as he does his work and greet people good morning when he sees people walking by. I smiled at him before and he always seems very happy and chirpy. I think I will buy him some kopi when I see him tomorrow morning. :)

Read more

Yes, parents should model the manners that we want for our kids. Smile, saying please and thank you, give help even if it is small....these are all easy but need practise at first. Once parents can do it easily, the children will follow naturally. It is heartwarming and encouraging after reading your story and others.

Read more

Our office cleaner Hani comes twice a week to help clean the office and she is always very happy and chirpy. She will go around singing and sharing stories about her family and chit chat with us all. Thank you Hani for your hard work and for brightening up our days!

Post reply image

I teach him by being an example myself :-) Saying good morning to the bus driver and saying thank you to the aunties and uncles who clean our table. Just making an eye contact with these people who serve us and giving them a smile or a simple appreciation definitely brightens up their day.

Would love to thank all the janitors and cleaners around us - I think they are all unsung heroes who diligently keep our environment clean and keep us healthy. Small gestures like greeting them or smiling at them will definitely make their days.