Let's talk about how to raise kids who respect all races, include suggestions of books, resources, courses, videos that we can use to teach our child about racism.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

For young toddlers, simple daily actions will actually raise kids to respect all races. This is essential as it is a virtue that every child/adult should possess especially when we are in a multiracial country like Singapore. Things like greeting/smiling to everyone regardless of race/colour. Sharing & playing with different race/nationality children. Respect & educate our child each race/nationality culture & practices. Our Singapore libraries has many books, audio/videos materials to expose our kids to the different races/culture. It's also a good venue for our child to see & share books with different races/nationality.

Read more

My 3 year old cannot tell races apart. For him, no matter what your colour or faith is, you are all human, just like him. And I would love for him to grow up that way but sadly it's us adults that tarnish their innocent view on people. I guess it helps now that we are a multi-racial family and my side of the family has a number of members practicing other religion so he gets to be exposed to these myriad culture and faith. But I find this article for useful- http://www.handinhandparenting.org/article/inoculating-our-children-against-racism/

Read more

My little girl is always scared of our friends whose skin tone is slightly darker. So I always made it a point to say good morning or hi to the neighbors or cleaners around. I think stereotyping starts from the parents. Educating day to day works better than educating just once off. It's a great idea to elaborate further during racial harmony day to promote the correct values.

Read more

Try books written by local authors related to RH, Eg. "Jayden & Janelle - Let's Celebrate!" http://www.jaydenandjanelle.sg For other kids, we can google "racial riots Singapore" and discuss w our kids briefly the history behind RHD or show them past images of racial riots. Watch certain parts of local movies such as 1965 or Long Long Time Ago which focus on racial riots...

Read more
Post reply image

I dun teach them all this because I come from a mix family n they know that in Singapore we have all races .... n they are even allow to talk to the sweeper at our area ... I will ask them to greet anyone that is staying at my area cause most of them are friendly ... n I always remind them that we have Malay Indian n Chinese in this family .

Read more
VIP Member

I would introduce my kids to Neighbours and friends of different races? Then when You meet them You can say, There's Aunty so and so and she wears a sari. Isn't it a lovely Color..? Aunty is Indian, which means her ancestors come from india

I think this is a great initiative - have you read the blue eyes, brown eyes experiment conducted on 8 year olds to show the effect of racism on people? I think all parents should read about it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott

Post reply image

You could use some of the questions asked in the domestic workers section of this app as examples of "how not to treat other human beings because of their country of origin/education level/religion etc etc"...

Our own behavior will reflect on our kids' behavior. No book or video can teach what parents can. We ourselves need to respect all the races, religion, gender to inculcate respect in them.