My in-laws are not around anymore, but my husband's aunts keep asking me to 'show face' at functions. They have a HUGE family and I find it hard to bring my kids to every one of them. And there are certain things that they do (ie drink alcohol), that I don't like exposing my kids to now (they are 11 and 12). I've done it before only to have my boys ask me why it's okay for them to do it. Is there any way to get out of these situations/functions or should I blatantly tell these folks the truth to my reason not to bring the kids along every time? Pls advise mummies!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

They have functions every 2-3 weeks - it gets so taxing me! I've tried the PSLE excuse (works closer to the time of the exam though haha). Hubby does tell me to 'show face for a while'. But that never happens - these events go into the wee hours of the mornings, at times.

It is not nice to tell them the exact reason if you still wish to maintain a good relationship with the relatives. You can let them know the kids are busy with schoolwork. But for major festival you can bring kids along to have bonding with the extended family members.

VIP Member

Since they are 11 and 12, just tell them that your boys are preparing for PSLE. Have a different excuse every time, and they'll get the message.

VIP Member

Tough predicament - how often are you invited out to these functions? Does hubby get upset if you don't attend?

thanks