6 Replies

VIP Member

It could be due to a forceful letdown which chokes the baby. Changing the nursing position may help. Instead of having the baby lie down, sit the baby in an upright position or lie back (baby is in a tummy time position) to nurse. This lets baby have more control over the milk flow. There are many factors as to why a baby is agitated when nursing. He could just be tired and sleepy. My baby gets very frustrated and wails non stop when she is tired AND sleepy at the same time. Most times, she refuses to latch and would rather sleep on a hungry stomach. I have to dreamfeed her after she falls asleep. http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/fussy-while-nursing/

It could be that she is encountering some of the common breastfeedings problems such as the flow of the milk being too fast (which will frustrate her baby) or the baby did not latch on properly (baby is not getting milk) or baby is having reflex. Other possible reasons may be that her baby may be teething or having an infection. It is best to consult a lactation expert for his/her professional advice. There are plenty of ways to correct letdown and other issues. Hopefully she will find the cause and not let this affect her experience with breastfeeding outside.

it is possible that either the flow of the milk is too fast, which makes it difficult for the baby to swallow in time and creates a choking feeling, or the flow is too less which makes the baby hungrier and more agitated. i would suggest ask your cousin to start feeding the baby before he is too sleepy or hungry, as it will help to soothe the baby down and not make him over excited or agitated by the time he starts to feed. also, if nothing works, try meeting a lactation expert who can definitely understand the problem and help accordingly.

Probably she can share what position she is feeding LO? For me, i have strong letdowns, so i have to feed in a semi-recline position so the flow isn't too fast for baby. When im outside, i also do that. So usually i will have to go to a nursing room so i can do it in a semi-recline position.

VIP Member

it could be a letdown issue. The fast flow is choking him and making him agitated. She can try to latch him a different way.

thanks