Hi I'm trying to make my 4mths old sttn as i realised she keep drinking milk during wees hours so i try out if she really used to waking up n drink or she's really hungry. Day time she's drinking 130-140ml 6feeds 3hrly last milk will be at 11pm. Today will b my 1st day trying to pat her instead of giving her milk it works however she woke up every hr instead crying when i carried her she kept quiet eyes open throughout. Carried for at least 2hrs? Am i doing the right things

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I tried few days ago too. Juz for tat nite to see if baby is really hungry as he needs night feedings till now 5mths old. I tried to calm him down & make him slp. First 2 times when he made noise, he is able to slp after some soothing. But 3rd time when he cried, no matter how u make him slp he oso cannot. So i fed him. After milk, he slept. So i think he is really hungry. Not all babies can slp thru e nite at first. When they grow up, slowly, they do not need nite feedings anymore. Take things naturally. I believe they wake up for a purpose. Previously was drinking every 3hrs in e middle of e nite, but now, is oni drinking 2 times in e nite. No longer 3hrs. When baby makes noise den i go & feed. He is able to stretch till 4hrs plus den feed.

Read more

Many times babies comfort feed to sleep. For me, thats fine. If you had to carry baby for 2 hours id say baby isnt ready to sstn. Why dont you allow her to grow at her own pace. Afterall how many nights of 2 hours will you be able to with stand? Worth a thought.

VIP Member

Usually how many times a night did she use to wake herself up? I suggest stretching her, so if she used to wake up at 4, then stretch her to 5 and feed her at 5. Then you can slowly start stretching more. Anyway that's what we did with our LO

7y ago

Hi mummy, Yes she will usually wakes up at 4am. Stretch as in 4am baby wakes up just pat till 5am then give milk?

She can only sleep through the night if she knows how to put herself to sleep and stay asleep. She needs to use her self soothing skills. At 4MO, they can sleep 6-7h for the longest stretch after a night feed at 10-11PM.

7y ago

Patting her to sleep is not allowing her to develop the skill of sleeping through self- soothing. You can gradually reduce the patting and don't pat her till she's fully asleep.

I also slowly drag .. but I only drag for 30min then give n slowly drag longer ... n eventually he can sstn but his good slp is always badly affected by the regressions months...

thanks