Hi mummies My 4mths old girl used to wakes up at 4am however i try ti drag the time from 4.30 till now 6am. However for past two weeks,she has been waking up for awhile same timing 3am,5am when i pat her she went back to sleep.my concern is that normal? She will always go to bed at 9pm self soothe but e mid morning when she wakes up i need to pat then she sleep. I dreamfeed her at 11pm 160ml(only for night day time will be 140ml)hoping that the milk can last her till next morning 6am. Am i doing the right thing? Or should i stop dreamfeed her but wont be able sttn cause her last milk is at 8.45pm. Need mummies advice Thank you

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Actually I don't really care what time u put ur child to sleep because I struggle to put mine to sleep to the proper standards. Whatever time ur child sleeps so be it. Just try to have a routine of abt that hour. As for the feeding and the sleeping, 5 hrs straight is considered sttn alrdy and until ur child knows how'd to self soothe, it will be difficult to sleep so long. Some babies will drink more at night, if she does good, if not it's ok. At abt 4 months, there's a chance of sleep regression too so sleeping patterns and waking will be a bit irregular - some babies have a few sleep regression periods some lesser - u can google Generally at 6 months onwards they can sleep 5 or more straight. Most of the time it's because they have started solids and the dinner meal keep them satisfied for a longer period. My 9'months old always sleep 9/10 plus. Had sleep regression at 4+ months. Recently then can sleep 5-6 hrs at a stretch. If it works well w u, u can try to give pacifier for her to self sooth to sleep in the middle of the night instead of feeding

Read more

Bedtime too late, that's why she's waking up at 4-5am. Ensure she's asleep by 1.5h after she's up from her last nap. You can keep the dream feed and drop it cold turkey at 6-9MO where they are capable of sleeping for 10-13h stretches since your girl can self soothe to sleep! Some babies wake up more with a dream feed. Maybe you can remove it and see if sleeps through the entire night. Otherwise, feed her at her first night waking.

Read more
VIP Member

The cons of dreamfeeding is that it may develop into a habit for your baby to wake up to feed even though she may not be hungry. If she's well fed throughout the day with around 4-5 full feedings every 3.5-4 hourly I would say you can safely eliminate the dreamfeeding either by going cold turkey or gradually reduce the drinking volume. All the best and sleep well!

Read more
VIP Member

Your girl is only 4 months old. Most babies start to sleep through the night later (I think average is 6mths to 1yr old) so I think you don't have to worry too much. She does need her milk so continue to dream feed her. I personally continued to dream feed till my boy is 1 yr old cos he was v small size so the extra milk wouldn't harm him. So it's really up to you. :)

Read more
7y ago

my girl also small size and still breastfeeding her 3-4 hrs at night... she's going 1yr this month n still not sleeping through the night and sleeping late... 😭

9pm is too late. I put my kids to bed at about 8pm. Its hard for a 4mth old to sleep through the night. I dream feed till now my boy is 8 months old.

thanks