Exclusive pumping

Hi, I’m exclusive pumping for breast milk as my lo refused to latch on.I’m realised the supply drop in this few days. Please advise what to do. Thanks.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hey mummy! There can be many reasons why your supply seem to be dropping, for starters, we don't always "empty" our breasts when we pump (at least not as efficiently as latching) so it may seem like we don't produce the same - the amount we pump is also NOT representative of how much milk we have/our child is drinking when they latch :) If you've been feeling stressed lately, that could be a contributor to the sudden low supply - another common reason would be the possibility that your period is coming. Don't worry though, it will return when your period goes away! Same thing for when you're falling sick, your supply might also be affected temporarily :) Other than that, one of the simplest reasons could just be that you aren't pumping enough (generally you have to pump for 15-20 minutes every 3 hours or so to mimic your child latching) or that your body simply just doesn't respond to pumping! Some mummies feel that they feed better through latching or hand expressing, while others have problems with their breast pump in terms of their pumping method (like me, I need to massage while pumping) or their equipment (eg. Motor strength, wrong flange size etc). If your period is not expected to come, you're not pregnant anytime soon and you aren't sick either - you can start by getting more rest and drinking more fluids, try not to let stress take over! Then monitor if you feel uncomfortable when pumping because it shouldn't hurt if your body is already used to breastfeeding :)

Read more
VIP Member

Hi mummy, I was exclusively pumping as well for about 6 months before my baby started wanting to latch more. What affected my output most was definitely diet and water intake. It is important to take lots of fluid and eat a balanced meal. Like what other mummies suggest, try milk boosters? Everyone have different boosters, try to find what works for you. Take more of those, over a period of time you will see increase in your supply. At the same time, also do power pumping and empty out your breast as much as possible. Don’t stress yourself too much over having enough supply. Relax and during your pump, can scroll through your baby’s pictures, sometimes it helps with letdown 😊

Read more
VIP Member

Hi Mummy, any changes in your diet or your routine so far? There might be different factors that causes the sudden drop of supply. First of all, don’t stress out. If you keep on thinking about having low supply, there’s tendency that it will really drop cos you’re stress. Drink more water, eat healthy, recommend Moringa soup, pump every 3 hours, no matter how low the supply just keep on pumping. And also try to massage your breast, there might be some blocked duct that prevents the milk from coming out.

Read more
VIP Member

Drink more water especially water that help in boosting like red dates with longan. Eat more is very important in helping to boost. If you feel supply drop, do power pump to help increase, 3 hours one pump, don’t skip. After pumping or before pumping, drink a cup of water to keep yourself hydrating as well. Drink more milk too. Can try eating durian, it’s help to increase, everyone is different, try for urself see what food help u to increase more milk. Than u can keep eating that food too.

Read more
VIP Member

How old is your LO? Are your breasts still engorged after expressing? Try hand express (check YouTube or online for vid) after a pump to make sure you empty your breasts. This will help to signal your body to produce more milk. Also, get enough to eat, drink and rest. Some mums take supplements to boost supply - fenugreek, mother’s nursing tea, you can get these from iHerb, or GNC.

Read more
VIP Member

Don't stress yourself. My supply went down when I was stressed at work. I will try to relax myself five minutes before starting to pump. Make sure you have enough rest and good diet. Do you have any milk booster? I realised my milk booster is Milo. I will take Milo low sugar at least twice daily to boost my supply.

Read more
VIP Member

Have you tried milk booster? Personally my milk boosters are yams (the one in bubur cha cha, coconut milk helps too), durian, red/green beans, lotus soup, salmon, corn, papaya soup and fennel (there’s a supplement). Try what it works for you to boost! For pumping mum, maybe try to pump every 2-3 hourly?

Read more

hi mummy, Try to get dried longan n dried red date from the Singseh shop or ntuc. Then you boiled till the the longan n red date become big n fluffy. Drink the water that u boiled. You will see the different. try to drink alot of water too. Hope this helps

VIP Member

i tried feenugreek supplements, milo, milk, oats, papaya soup..i am sorry it doesnt worked for me. Eventually i give up few months old. Very low supply. Told myself dont give up, i tried but i failed it. Hoped it works for u. Cheers.

VIP Member

Everyday i take 2-3 mega malunggay food supplement capsule then every now & then i will drink milk tea 😍