bm supply drop

recent 2 weeks milk supply started dropping. usually each pump can yield about 270-280mls, now only 240mls. baby is six months old now. I never latch, exclusive pumping. didn't fall sick recently, bo change in diet as well. sigh this is so worrying. does anyone know if it's normal to suddenly have such drop?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh dear, I can understand why you're feeling worried about your milk supply dropping suddenly. It's not uncommon for breastfeeding mothers to experience fluctuations in their milk production, so try not to stress too much. There could be a few reasons why this drop has occurred, but I'll try my best to provide some guidance and solutions for you. Firstly, it's important to remember that as your baby grows and their nutritional needs change, your milk supply may naturally adjust accordingly. At six months old, your little one might be starting to eat solid foods and relying less on breast milk for sustenance. This transition could lead to your body producing slightly less milk. Another factor to consider is the pumping routine. Have you made any changes to your pumping schedule or routine in the past two weeks? Sometimes, even small alterations like a different pumping bra or a change in the timing of your pumping sessions can impact milk supply. Ensuring that you're consistently pumping at regular intervals and for an adequate duration (around 15-20 minutes per breast) can help maintain your milk production. Additionally, stress and fatigue can also play a role in milk supply. Have you been experiencing any heightened stress levels or lack of sleep recently? These factors can affect hormone levels and potentially lead to a decrease in milk supply. Taking some time for self-care, practicing relaxation techniques, and getting enough rest can be beneficial not only for your overall well-being but also for your milk production. If you're still concerned about your milk supply, there are a few things you can try to help boost it. One option is to consider incorporating galactagogues into your diet. These are substances believed to increase milk supply, such as fenugreek, oats, and fennel. You can find them in various forms like teas, capsules, or cookies. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new supplements. It's also worth mentioning that staying hydrated and maintaining a balanced diet can positively impact milk production. Drinking enough water throughout the day and consuming nutritious foods, including fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, can support your body in producing an adequate milk supply. Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant or your healthcare provider for further advice and support. They can provide personalized recommendations based on your specific situation. I hope these suggestions help you navigate through this temporary drop in milk supply. Remember, every breastfeeding journey is unique, and it's essential to trust your body's ability to adapt and provide for your little one. Take care, mama! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

240ml is still plenty at 6 months. baby will be transitioning to solids, and the milk intake will reduce, so it's actually good not to have an oversupply and start to taper down the amount of milk pumped.

Stress? For me likely stress and coz i nv drink as much water.. my baby is also 6 mths now..

Stress Some food you might have eaten Period might be returning

TapFluencer

stress affects me